Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This question has been nagging me for a few days now and I just can't Find a solid aswer, thought maybe somone here could help.
Q: When cleaning computer hardware my buddy said don't use air from my home air compressor. I want to know why he would say it, although he didnt have any specific reasons I haven't been using it just incase.
only things I could think of are
To many psi of air?
Generating static electricity?

The stuff in a can gets the job done alright but if I can I would like to use my aircompressor because of the price diffrence.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
An air compressor can actually damage your parts if you aren't careful, but since I have a feeling you will do it anyway, then be my guest.

·
Banned
1,045 Posts
here's a real good reason (and I use a compressor just about every day I work being a trim carpenter)...compressors can very easily contaminate the air with water and oil...water from humidity, and oil when using an oil lubricated compressor...I would think that even with an expensive water and oil trap system, it would still be a no go for computer parts...

I for one would never use my compressor (even with the proper trap system I have set up for spraying automotive lacquer on furniture) for cleaning out my box

·
Banned
1,045 Posts
admittedly I did this once to the first computer I got (a used PII 400MHz) from a failing .com business...it was totally filthy and since I didn't have any air cans at that point in my life I used my trusty compressor...

for those that wish to use compressors, might I advise going to an auto paint supplier and buy a Milton s115 'adjustable pocket blo-gun'...this little baby dials in the outgoing pressure from 0 psi to fully unrestricted..also, at the very least get a water trap and connect it to your compressor...ideally one should have all traps 30' away from the compressor because water and oil can take that long to fully condense, but having a trap at the compressor's outlet is better than nothing..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.