Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had my bro reformat the family laptop for me since I will be using it as a tuning computer for my car. Well, after he reinstalled windows 2000 professional it would take godly long times to load up to the initial setup windows. I reformatted it again, since he had to leave back for college. It ran alot faster to the point of the setup walkthrough. But it gets about halfway through the "installing devices" step then freezes. I tried repairing and reformatting again.

What's wrong or to fix?

This is on a Dell Inspiron 8000.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
A lot of times this is indicative of bad ram. One thing to try is to shut down, disconnect the power and battery, and re-seat the RAM (should be a little panel on the bottom with 2 screws).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright I'll give that a try, I'm not sure which panel it is, so I guess I'll take off the whole back case.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well, I got lucky and the first case cover I took off was the ram cover. It looked seat fine to me though. I'm going to try to start it up with no Wireless card, or batteries, and see where that gets me.

Well, wouldn't ya know it, it was something with either of the two batteries or 802.11g card. Seems strange to me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, one of the batteries is brand new, yet it held a charge for a day or so, and won't charge now. Any ideas?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.