Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys are my last hope.
I have a computer that has been running perfect for over a year before last Wednesday. Then, whilst checking my e-mail, it switched itself off.
I tried to restart it but nothing happened.
I opened the side and noticed that the green light on my motherboard was lit up just fine but whatever I did, the computer would not fire up.
I changed the PSU and hey presto, it worked great.....for about 2 hours and then the same thing happened. I tried the 2 PSUs that failed, in a different PC and they didn't work there either? They appeared to have died?
A third PSU worked fine.....for a few hours and then the computer quietly switched itself off again never to come back on. Another PSU dead!
I changed the CPU cooler, I checked all the components but nothing seems to work?
I don't want to buy another PSU just yet until I can get a handle on what might be causing this?
If anyone could give me any pointers I would truly apreciate it?
My computer is made up as follows;

Asus A7V6-8XX Motherboard
2 x 512Mb PC3200 400Mhz RAM
AMD Athlon XP2700+ 2.17Ghz
XFX 6800GT 256Mb graphics card
Creative Live! 5.1 soundcard
400W PSU (which has been fine for over a year)

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
What's the brand and specifications of that PSU? 400w sounds like enough to run your rig, but if the PSU isn't truly up to snuff, or is a no-name, then you're in for trouble. Also, try running the PC outside of the case, it could be a short.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All 3 of the PSUs were different but the first one to go (and the one that's been fine for the last year) is this one;

http://www.savastore.com/productinf...avastore&product_id=10244340&pid=207&rstrat=0

Certainly nothing special but fine up until now.
With the same thing happening to all 3 PSUs, I'm pretty sure it's something internal but I just don't know where to look.
As I've already said, there is an LED lit on the Motherboard despite nothing happening so it's all a little wierd?

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
Sounds a bit like what happened to the Dells here at work, but slightly different. Crappy design was at fault this time in that they didn't install adequate cooling. This led to melted components and about 150 computers that needed replacement. See why I don't like Dell? :) Anyway, it could be cooling but it's not likely in this scenario.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aye, that was one of the options I was going to look at but the CPU has a huge jet-engine of a cooler and there's a couple of good case fans in there too. What's concerning me is that whatever is at fault, rather than just shutting down, it's actually killing the PSUs...although that begs the next question....why would I get a power LED on the Motherboard if the PSU is fried?? :4-dontkno

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
could be that certian rails in the PSU died, namely the 12v and 5v. The 3.3v is likely still active but completely useless since the others are dead.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll try running it outside of the case when I get home tonight and let you know how it pans out. (tempted to take out shares in the PSU company at the mo!) :)
Thank you very much for your replies :cool:

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is puzzling.... only thing I can think of is if your PSU doesn't have enough wattage to manage your comp, but 400w sounds fine... I know my comp runs fine on 500w. The LED light could be getting power from the BIOS battery, Take out the BIOS battery (it's the round silver lithium ion battery if you don't know) and see if the light is still on...

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
Actually, the LED is likely the RAM indicator. When that light is on is usually means that the PC is full on or in standby mode. Do NOT remove RAM while it's on. But do give the out-of-case test a try and we'll see where to go next.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.