Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Problem:
I'm kind of having some trouble guys, I basically butchered my start menu (on purpose, this isn't the problem) so it's basically useless, there's like.. 2 shortcuts there and those are useless.

I need to know how to completely disable the start menu for good, I assume it can be done using the registry so I did a quick Google check and null. Any help is much appreciated.

Summary:
Completely disable start menu

System Specifications - Hardware:
There's really no point in posting since it's irrelevant - but I posted as much as I'm able under "My System" to your left.

Operating System:
Windows 7 RC1 x86

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Navigate to the following key in the registry using regedit:

Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{a2a9545d-a0c2-42b4-9708-a0b2badd77c8}
Export the key to your desktop to create a .reg file for recovery.

Delete the registry key and reboot. The start menu will be disabled.

To restore the registry key an therefore the start menu. Double click the reg file you created on the desktop. No reboot is needed.

·
Registered
171 Posts
You may need to take full control of the key in permissions same as for a file. Alternatively, you can delete it by putting a dash in front of the hkey in the reg file. Follow the instrustions here:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310516

It would look like this to delete the key:
Code:
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{a2a9545d-a0c2-42b4-9708-a0b2badd77c8}]
@="Start Menu Pin"
Instead of like this to add the key:
Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{a2a9545d-a0c2-42b4-9708-a0b2badd77c8}]
@="Start Menu Pin"

·
Banned
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not understanding what you're saying, when I'm editing the reg, I can't see the prefix, only the key itself so.

Also, I can't edit the permissions, I'm getting errors like crazy saying it's not permitted - which is redundant but funny.

·
Banned
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, now I understand. I used Notepad to edit the exported key, then inserts the hyphen where it's needed, it was successfully added apparently (so I assume it "overwrite" the previous data) so I'm going to be restarting.

·
Banned
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried the attachment, and it failed. I restarted, and it failed.

First of all, lets get something straight : You know I'm trying to completely disable the menu, right? Just to save us both some time, I want it all gone - not even visible.

·
Registered
171 Posts
When you click the start orb it will do nothing. No start menu will be displayed.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I checked the file I attached and it is working. Go to thr registry key and see if it is deleted. Not much more I can tell you. That is the key that has to be deleted. Until it is deleted it will not work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am trying to achieve exactly the same thing - to completely remove the start menu.

I enter regedit and delete the registry key:
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{a2a9545d-a0c2-42b4-9708-a0b2badd77c8}
When I restart my system, I receive no error messages. Everything starts-up fine.

However, my full start menu is still functioning exactly the same as before. It has not changed in any way.

Please help!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am trying to achieve exactly the same thing - to completely remove the start menu.

I enter regedit and delete the registry key:
Code:
When I restart my system, I receive no error messages. Everything starts-up fine.

However, my full start menu is still functioning exactly the same as before. It has not changed in any way.

Please help!
Same happend to me. Del. Key + Reboot. Key is deleted (I search thru registry), but "Start Menu" is still there and work normal on a click. :(((
My System was: Windows 2008 R1

Regards

Nighty666

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.