Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seemingly randomly, everything freezes on my computer. Although I haven't been able to completely narrow it down, it's almost always when I'm just using the internet (firefox), without games or anything running (I've seen it a few times in Supreme Commander, but I *think*, not sure, that that's different), and, more annoyingly, often seems to happen when I'm out of the room.

Sometimes when I'm using the computer, everything will freeze up, I will move the mouse around on the pad, and suddenly a minute or so later the cursor will have jumped position and the system will begin working again. That's the "partial" lock-up. Other times, generally when I'm out of the room, I will come back and find the everything frozen, but it never moves again until I reset the machine.

Nothing is logged in the event log after either of these freezes, in fact the last time I saw a complete freeze I restarted and saw nothing had been logged at all for 30 minutes before the freeze.

I also remember this being a problem a while ago, and at the time I persevered and eventually just asked windows to install over itself. That seemed to fix it, but just in the last week or so (I think), I've noticed it again.

Can anyone help?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Have you tried defraging? Any processes running ab-normally in task manager. Try using system performance to see the performance of certain things could also help.

What is the spec of your computer?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Defragging was probably a good idea, I for some reason hadn't even thought of doing so. I'm doing it now. I can't see anything in task manager that looks abnormal, what's "system performance"?

My spec is: (all stock, no overclocking)

[email protected] 2.4GHz
4GB OCZ RAM
GeForce 8800GTX (768MB)
nForce 680i
750W Thermaltake PSU
5 HDDs, total 2.7TB

Windows XP SP3 running from a 75Gb WD Raptor drive.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright. I *think* I've found an error in the event log that's causing it:

Firstly, there are a bunch of these:

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk2\D during a paging operation.

And then, if I've had momentary freezes instead of an outright one, I see this:

The device, \Device\Scsi\nvgts2, did not respond within the timeout period.

I think the system is freezing over this "timeout period". When I restarted the system this time, I saw some garbled characters instead of 2 lines of the "detecting drives" phase.

Do you think I just need to replace one of my drives?

·
Registered
28 Posts
It does look like the system is struggling to access the hard drive or something on the harddrive.

Right click start menu, go into properties > customise > then depending on your type of start menu, you need to find administrative tools. When this is activated it will be in the start menu and within that its called performance is what you need. Try that let us know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.