Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Acer Aspire x1700 low profile desktop
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66
4g RAM
500g harddrive, 251g free
onboard Realtek HD audio soundcard
Nvidia Gforce G210 GPU
All other parts are factory shipped stock for that tower.

Hello all. My wife's computer (Acer Aspire X1700) recently began locking up (complete screen freeze,no mouse movement, no keyboard response, ((not even num lock/caps lock/etc toggling on or off)) no error message.) Ctrl-Alt-Del will not respond. Takes a hard Power-off (Power helt 5+ seconds) to get it to turn off.

Up until the freeze, the computer runs fine, no slowdown, or stuttering. Sound and graphics have no problems, and everything runs as normal.

I reformatted her computer (complete reformat, deleted all partitions, and made 1 new one) via the Acer's installed Factory Recovery partition, and still, it will lock up.

The lockup itself is random it seems. Sometimes while in a game, sometimes when browsing forums, and it will even freeze while in Safe Mode with networking. (Never got around to try to see if it will lock up in basic Safe Mode) Also the time from boot to freeze is random. It may take an hour or two, it may freeze within minutes of the OS coming up.

So, after the reformat, I'm thinking it's either the RAM, the harddrive, or something on the motherboard. I've ran Memtest 86 for 12 good passes, and all give 0 errors. The computer never locked up once while running Memtest.

Would replacing the harddrive with a known working one (or new one) fix this problem? I've never ran into a freeze that persisted through a complete reformat. WOULD a problem like this come from a bad harddrive?

If not, what else could cause this after all the fixes i've already tried?

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,749 Posts
Could be the hard drive in fact that is the most obvious or it could be caused by heat. Have you checked inside tower for clogged hsf or a lot of crud inside? The other possibility would be the mouse itself if it is dying.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shouldn't be anything clogged up. I regularly clean the dust from our computers. As far as overheating, If I remember correctly, the CPU was at 25-35c and the GPU was at 38c, and I believe those are low temps for them.

Also, it wasn't the mouse dieing. All animations on the screen would stop, and sound would either stop as well, or freeze on the last processed millisecond of sound and repeat it until the computer was turned off. (Only did that once though.)

Makes me feel better to know that a dieing harddrive is possibly the most obvious culprit, because that's my easiest fix! Hopefully that's the case.

I'll try and update this thread on how replacing the harddrive goes once I get home. I'm at work at the moment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've also been told that I should run chkdsk, so I'll post the results of that before I try the new harddrive. (When I get home.)

I had thought I did chkdsk already, but I was wrongly remembering the system check the machine will offer to do when the system was shut down irregularly as that - which it's not.

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,749 Posts
You have to run "chkdsk /r" of "f" to fix or repair the errors and then you will find out what they are.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm working on a friend's computer, same model, same issue. Seems to be a stupid bad case design. In the standing position, heat builds up between the video card and case. Try laying it down flat with the vents on the side panel facing up.

Or, if you know someone handy in cutting metals, measure and mark the area over the video card's heatsink and have someone cut a hole with a plasma torch and solder a thin screen inside of the new hole. This will allow for greater heat dissipation without harming the case's venting design. Just make SURE they clean all the cut edges of any loose metal flakes that could come loose and short out your PC.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.