Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, its been some time since i last posted. Unfortunately i have yet another problem, well two actually, but one is media.

Anyways, my desktop (specs off the top of my head below) randomly locks up, whether it be typing, burning, surfing, chatting, etc. And by locks up, i mean total lock up. I have to compare the clock on my desktop to my laptop's clock. this whole thing started about a week ago, was fine for a day or so, but has begun to get worse. I've already done some software maintenance and am about ready to do a scan disc check and possibly a defrag, but other than that, along with a complete system restore, i'm at a loss.

(side note: i have to pull the plug for it to work again, system metrix shows little to no CPU usage, and only about half RAM usage when it locks up.)

Intel pentium 4 processor HT
Stock 200 GB Seagate SATA HD
Seagate barracuta 320 GB SATA HD
1536 MB dual channel RAM (has original dual channel of 512, and 1 GB dual channel) PC3200 400 Mhz.
Has two TSST four way optical combo drives

um.. i think a 300watt power source.

Now, before i started having problems, all of this was working fine. I had recently gotten a 500 GB external harddrive and that worked fine with everything prior to the lock ups. All software that i installed during and after the lock ups i've pretty much uninstalled. If you need any more info, let me know. I really need to get this resolved because its really starting to become a hassle.

Thanks a bunch to anyone that helps!

Matt.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
First check that there are no yellow alerts in the device manager
in there, click view, then click show hidden devices

Then try and get a different power supply to try.
If this is an off brand, old unit, change it.

Read the links in my sig

·
Banned
2,148 Posts
I'm thinking Graphics too, and also your PSU is light.

Post detailed specs on both.

Also, install Everest Home (freeware) & attach (don't post) it's report here. As well as Speedsensor Pro (freeware) and let it run for about an hour & report temp range (high & low).

Anything more than 50C under light CPU load is probably bad.

Drivers too. Have you updated all drivers via Windows Update ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To speedster123, i have no flags of any sort in device manager, that includes hidden devices. to your power supply thing, i have no extra to try, and the current one is becoming i think two years old soon.

to Eneles: on board graphics, but i've managed to bump it up to 224MB from the original 128.

at the moment, i don't have very detailed specs the PSU.
for the graphics, all i have is whats given to me via dxdiag.

to girderman, could you give a quick link to everest home, and speedsensor pro? All the drivers are up to date as far as i know. i haven't gotten an update in about a week.

for some reason i think the locking up may be related to VLC player freezing when playing .mkv files, though not entirely sure. the machines to be doing better after i cleaned some software out of it.

·
Team Manager , Articles Team
11,900 Posts
G'Day migitmd,

You will find a Tutorial Guide about Everest™Home Edition here.

The tutorial and guide also has a link to download the program.

Regards,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.