Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Dell Dimension 8200 with a Pentium 4 2.53 ghz processor. It has 512 ram in it right now, and I want to get 2 more sticks to up my total to a 1 gb.
The rdram that is in it right now is Samsung and says MR16R1628AF0-CM8 800-40 011 on them. On the Dell website it says that my system is non ecc, and that I can use 400 or 533 FSB. CPU-Z says that I am using PC800-40 (400mhz).
Alot of the articles I have been reading say that it doesn't hurt to use ecc on a computer already using non ecc. It just will shut off the error checking, but I have found nothing that tells me if I can use 2 that are 400 fsb and non ecc and 2 that are for 400 or 533 fsb and ecc at the same time. All 4 would be samsung.
With the price of rdram it just seems cheaper to add 512 then pay for 1gb at once.

I have attached my dump from CPU-Z!

Thanks,
Elle

Attachments

·
Registered
827 Posts
Using ECC will actually slow down the speed of your computer, not to mention more expensive. It would be more compatible and faster to run 4 sticks of non-ECC so try to acquire some modules that are exactly the same as your existing ones.

With the price of RDRAM it would be cheaper to buy a new mobo and some DDR, but unfortunately that would void your OEM Windows.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.