Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At this point i'm planning on geting these upgrades:
Case: Performance II 400-watt ATX Tower Case
Mother board: 865PE ATX Motherboard, Socket PGA478 for Pentium 4 Processors
CPU: Pentium 4, 2.40cGHz, 800MHz Bus, Socket 478 Processor with Hyper-Threading
Graphics card: Radeon 9800 XT Video Card, 8x AGP, 256MB SDRAM

Right now i'm not sure what type of ram i'm going to get, but i'm sure its going to be 512mb's.

I would pick out the ram but i'm not sure what pin the mobo has for ram.

The reason i'm posting this is because i want to know if these parts are compatible, and what speed ram i should get.
btw if you click the name of the part it will give you some more info on it.

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
There's all sorts of D865PERL information at Intel, including warnings to update the BIOS, a link to lists of tested memory, and other stuff. Maybe you already saw this?

I am not sure whether, by "its going to be 512mb's", you mean (a)you will buy multiple modules and each will be of size 512MB, or (b)you will buy some memory totaling up to 512MB?

With the i865 chip, to activate Dual Channel mode on the memory you will need pairs of identical DIMMs. So if you mean a total of 512MB, it means you need to buy two iidentical 256MB DIMMs. (Note: this would leave you only 2 DIMM slots remaining, meaning if you later decide you need more memory, you might end up having to take those 256MB DIMMs out of service for lack of slots. Something to consider.)

Also, I would look for a more powerful supply than 400W.

I have no comment about the video card.

Is that about what you were looking for?

-clintfan

·
Registered
376 Posts
If you can afford it the i875P will squeeze a bit more performance out of the P4.

As for the RAM, grab 512MB modules. It's best to fill two memory slots than four since you can operate your RAM at a faster command rate. If you'd like to be crazy like me, grab the full 2GB. It's also worth the extra money to get higher performance RAM that will run at low latencies. My largest expense was my RAM, actually, since the 2.8GHz P4 is only $250. Remember to get identical memory modules, and I highly recommend the matched pairs that Corsair and others offer which come pre-tested to work well in dual-channel.

I agree with clintfan to get a larger power supply. A 480W like his would be perfect, or perhaps a 430W like mine would suit you just fine. As for the case, you should grab the oter Antec case that has the side fan to cool your graphics card. The extra cooling will help you achieve better clock speeds should you wish to tweak out that Radeon. If you can afford it, and if your motherboard has it, grab an AGP Pro version of the Radeon for better performance.

Compare prices and see if you can save some money to be able to grab cooler stuff. ZipZoomFly.com has great prices, for example, and is also quite reliable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.