Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this laptop since jan 2006, everything worked great until a thunder storm which resets my computer, when i power it up again, 2 things stopped from working, the first one, the modem, which i barely used it so i didnt care about, but the second one was the sound.

The funny thing is that if i plug the headphones i have sound from there, and i can use the microphone, but the speakers dont work at all, i uninstalled and installed sound drivers, reinstalled windows xp from scratch and its still without sound from the speakers.

Even, if i go to the Volume Control, the speakers option and volumeter appear in a light grey (check attached image), and i cant use them, this make the thing on 2 things, or the speakers get fried, or the onboard sound card (if this would be the case, the headphones plug and microphone should works anyways?)

Possible solutions:
I think on 2 things, replace the speakers (need to confirm if they are fried)
or the second thing if the damage was on part of the motherboard, to try to make an internal jumper to make that the headphone plug connects internally with the speakers (this will disable any headphone from plug it again, but will make the speakers to work).

What do i need to know to make this happens:
First, a way to ensure that the speaker itself is not fried, also if there is any schematics that tells me which cable of the internal plug is the voltage, and which ones are for the sound.

Any help on this would be great, i believe that all V2000 series are basically the same from the outside (different CPU) so any previous experiences or help would be great.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,437 Posts
hi,

what i usually do if i suspect Windows or related drivers to be the cause is to run a different operating system. i usually use a linux live CD (knoppix or PCLinuxOS). i usually use these two as they do not require deep understanding or complex configuration to run. so if i get sound using linux, then i know my problem of hardware is out of the question.

once i know that my hardware is working, i uninstall the related drivers, do a repair of my Windows (non-destructive repair), and install the drivers back.

so far this works well for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, i reinstalled a clean copy of windows, so windows is out of the line here, the discussion is the motherboard or the speakers...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.