Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I've been sitting here for a couple hours frustrated and punching things (not the computer) because I cant get this ATI Radeon 7500 128 MB PCI Video Card to work on my Compaq Presario 5BW220. I've had this computer for around 9-10 years and I am in school and there is no way to purchase another computer. I have to go cheap (yeah yeah) Here are some specs about my computer.

Compaq Presario 5BW220
Intel Celeron 633mhz Processor
2x 128 MB Ram PC100 (256 MB) (Recently purchased 2x 256 MB Compaq OEM sticks)
Onboard Video(VGA) and Sound.
1 Ethernet PCI
1 Wireless Linksys PCI
1 ATI Radeon 7500 128 MB PCI (Brand new, just purchased it today)
Windows XP Home Edition SP3 (Came with WinME EWWWWWWWWW)
I've tried just about everything possible. I went into Windows and Disabled, Uninstalled. Did nothing. Went into the bios and made the Onboard VGA "Disabled" but for some reason it was already disabled before i went in there but yet it would still work. When I put the ATI card in the slot closed to the CPU my computer starts up because i waited long enough and heard the Windows XP Start-up sound. When i try to plug the monitor cable into the onboard video while the ATI is plugged in and nothing comes up, when the ATI is removed and its plugged into the onboard video it works just fine. Also Windows starts to re install the Onboard video. I just purchased the ATI and i plan on purchasing a new Widescreen LCD so i needed something better. Please any help will be appreciated! (Also i dont know how to get into CMOS on mine) I will check back daily.

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts
There should be an option in the bios to "enable pci video" or "select video output" or something along those lines. Make sure it's set to "pci" and be sure to try every pci slot on the board. Some motherboard require the pci video card to be in a specific slot.

Also try installing the ati card with the onboard graphics drivers still installed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well in my bios screen, it doesn't give me that option while the ATI card isnt in. When it is in a pci slot, the screen wont display anything so i cant tell you if i could switch to pci.

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts
It could possibly have to do with the card being to new for the older pci slots to support. The newer card could be using to many resources on the board , or not getting enough and thus not work. try the card in another machine to ensure it functions.

Also , try and old 9x pci card , a 2 or 4 mb card off ebay for 1$ and see if it works.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well i just put in my old 8mb Real3D Graphic card and it worked (i dont have a driver for it and its no where on the web so thats why i dont use it) i got into my bios i seen. Pci VGA Configuration. and It displayed "Onboard VGA:Disabled, and Slot 4 PCI VGA: Enabled" Also i Put the ATI in Slot 1 and still had the Real3D in slot 4(which is closet to the CPU, its backwards for some reason) and i went into the PCI VGA Configuration again and made Slot 1 (ATI) Enabled. Saved and exited. Turned off. Rebooted with the monitor cable plugged into the ATI and nothing came up again. Plus the manual that came with the ATI had instructions for Windows NT, 95, 98, and 2000. The manuals copyright is 2000. I don't know if this manual is meant for this ATI Graphic card or not but thats what came with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.