Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working on a PC for friend and could use help?:upset: The computer if you want to call it that is a Compaq Presario 5900T with Win98SE Pentium III. She told me that it keeps restarting every time she boots up thought was a simple issue (maybe is) anyway have fdisk and reformated the used restore disks to reload system. I also fdisk and reformated, then just loaded Win98SE on drive no change. It will bootup then go ti sign on screen after that start to load drivers at which time will restart itself and go through it again. If I am in safe mode it will load up and go to desktop but no change after restart any ideas I would appreciate the help.

·
ID10T Circuit replacement
1,038 Posts
http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/any/na/cpq/softwareDownloadIndex.jhtml?reg=&cc=us&softitem=34381&prodId=compaqpres93648&lc=en&sw_lang=en&pagetype=software

Try this. Sounds like a faulty driver. Have you done a Step by step confirmation boot to see if which drivers or software load up and cause a reboot. If you see the network logon screen, type the password or click ok while holding the shift key down. This will prevent software from loading. Also the link above may have updated drivers for this problem.

If you boot into safe mode. Run MSconfig to stop things from loading at boot. Do one at a time until you stop rebooting.

Let me know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Rasputon!

Many, if not all, the Compaq 5900T's have 6 bad capacitors on
the mother board. When they fail the most common symptom
is endless rebooting, just as you described.

The capacitors are mounted in pairs around the processor.
They are slightly higher than the other caps. Usually they
can also be identified by the bulging or burst top. In case of
bursting you can see the brownish dried out electrolyte.
They may also burst in the bottom thereby contaminating
the mother board. The board is laquered and is not hurt
by the electrolyte. The remainders can be cleaned away
using a moderate amount of water and some tissue paper
or similar. Allow for complete drying befor applying power!

Also the caps can be bad even without bulging or leaking.

The caps are all 1500 microfarads, 6.3 Volts and the brand
is I.Q whatever that might be.

Rubycon and Sanyo have suitable replacements.

Good luck with the repair!

·
Registered
28 Posts
hgb said:
Many, if not all, the Compaq 5900T's have 6 bad capacitors on
the mother board. When they fail the most common symptom
is endless rebooting, just as you described.
Another common problem with the Compaq series in general is in CMOS. Compaq has most (in some models, all) of the CMOS settings restricted or password protected. When the 6 capacitors blow, CMOS occasionaly will try to hold itself together by auto-changing certain settings, settings which may or may not change back after the successful reformat of the drive. You may also need to completely wipe the onboard CMOS programming and replace it.

I've went through this twice with my two Compaq Presarios. I feel your pain...:upset:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.