Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I formatted my father in laws Compaq Presario 5722 at his request because it was bogged down with tons of stuff. I reinstalled win 98 and used the restore cd to reinstall the drivers for sound,video, and modem. Enerything went ok. Now here is the problem. When I connect it will load a few pages and than quits. It will not download or pull web pages, ie quits sending and receiving bytes. If I disconnect and reconnect it works for a little while, sometimes a couple of minutes sometimes a little more. I reformatted twice and still same issue. I have replaced the modem thinking that was the problem, same issue. I have tweaked the modem, forced DNS and tried numerous things like changing the client from microsoft family logon to client for microsoft networks.I even upgraded to win ME and the same issue. The modem connects fine just quits sending or receiving after a couple of minutes.I tried alternate numbers, same issue. I have never had this issue before but beleive it is related to the Compaq pc. See if you guys have any ideas.Everything else works fine, ie sound,video,applications,etc. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks, Joe

·
Registered
935 Posts
Just a shot in tha dark, but what about trying a different browser such as Firefox.
If you can't stay connected long enough for the download, perhaps it could be copied to CD on another machine and then installed on the ailing machine.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Do all programs lose capacity? Does AIM shutdown after a minute or two? Check the dial up icon in the system tray and see if it stops recieving bytes as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reply to PH

Yes Ph all programs quit sending and receiving, checking dialup networking it quits sending and receiving. The problem is sporadic. Sometimes disconnecting and reconnecting helps for a few minutes but eventually it happens again. I have reformatted twice and still get the same problem. It was working fine before I reformatted PC, just bogged down with 7 years of stuff. Strange, I have installed windows on dozens of PCs and this is the first time I have seen this problem. Compaq sure makes it difficult. Every one I have worked on has been a bear.

·
Registered
210 Posts
You've reformatted, so we can rule out malware. It's repeatable on that computer, but not on any others, it's not the modem... What on earth is wrong with this thing....

Try cleaning your computer, particularly the motherboard (Don't use water, =P), and see what happens.

By the way, do you have a laptop or anything? Try connecting with the same cord and jack with a different computer. It could be the phone jack.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Compaq PC

My PC is on the same jack and phone cord. No problems ever with my PC. My father in law took the Compaq home and he is having the same problem. I believe you are correct in that it is motherboard related but I wonder why it started after I formatted the PC. Maybe i should consider changing the motherboard. Thanks for your help. Joe

·
retired
1,966 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.