Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've got this old Compaq presario 1200 12xl500. I just replaced the mobo with a used one. Now when booting it says "Operating System not found" I tryed using a startup disk (WinME) but system doesn't seem to detect it. I went in to BIOS where you change boot drive sequence, that particular screen is covered with all kinds of crazy looking characters. The time/date screen is also like that. I can't change anything like that. What's the matter here? :3-sqcold:

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do I flash it if there's no OS and floppy doesn't work?

·
Registered
96 Posts
So when the laptop boots up, it posts. Checking the BIOS and setting up the hardware of the computer.
Then it would normally go to the hard drive and boot up.
If the hard drive wont boot up, it should then look at the floppy drive to boot using a boot disk.

Use the computer you are using to access this site.
Go to www.hp.com and then go to the drivers and software for your particular laptop. There should be a selection of firmware upgrades and it is here you would get the bios flash utility for your laptop.
It should make a bootable floppy disk that you will use to run a flash utility. follow the instructions at the HP site.

It sounds like your bios is corrupt based on the information given. or the mobo you installed could be bad. I would try flashing the bios.
If that fails, perhaps you should consider taking it to a shop where they can troubleshoot it for you.

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Downloaded BIOS from HP, copied to floppy, now instead of going to "OS not found" just a blank screen with a cursor.
does it work to make a bootable cd with the update?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Verify that the floppy is bootable. Put it in another computer and boot to it. just dont do that flash.

Once it starts loading and asks the first question, shut it down and remove it from that computer. This way you know the bootable portion is good.

if all you get is a blinking cursor when booting to the floppy in the laptop, check to see if the floppy is reading, you should hear noises coming from it. This means that the computer is searching for a operating system.
If not then the drive is not reading the floppy and then yes, the mobo may be bad.

And just to make sure.. There is a operating system on the hard drive isnt there?

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, the floppy boots in another comp. also the floppy drive seems to be reading-makes plenty of noise.
I have no idea whether there is an OS on it. Its supposed to have ME, but it was given to me dead by a friend.

I thnk i'll ship it off to a pro to have it checked

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.