Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The computer is an Evo N1015V and when the heatsink is not screwed on tight when I press power the fan spins for a bit, then the whole thing shuts off.

If I tighten the heatsink and turn it on, the fan never spins, and the power stays on.

I pretty certain the CPU itself if fried, but still I would like to figure out whats happening

I have posted a video on you tube showing the problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvRLH-a5HSE

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, the CPU is seated properly, but the CPU is fried (i am getting a new one though)

and there are no pinched cables, the only difference is when i secure the CPUs heatsink, as i display in the video. The only thing i can figure out is when i tighten the screws, they must be created a short somehow...i guess i should try pulling the board and see if it reacts the same...

·
Registered
12,437 Posts
man that sure is strange... just like you, i suspect a short somewhere. have you removed the board? as you said it could be the CPU. the only danger i see in this is.. what if the CPU is not fried and this is caused by something else, it could eventually fry the motherboard (a very expensive part).

if i am faced with this, i would redo everything again, reseat the CPU, reapply thermal paste, check all contacts (top and bottom of board)... etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.