Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a Compaq 5340 desktop and the hard drive is way too small for me. I'm looking to upgrade, what kind of hard drive is compatible with this machine? I've installed every thing imaginable on a computer but never a hard drive, I assume all I need to do is Back up all the info I want to save to a disc, remove the old drive, install the new, boot up and install Windows???? :confused: Thanks for any help.

S

·
0 Posts
Do you know what size hard drive you have in there now?

During the manufacturing process, an identification number (BOMID) is written to the UIA area of a hard drive. This BOMID identifies the model of the PC into which the hard drive is installed. Replacement hard drives do not contain this information.

Therefore, when using QuickRestore on a Compaq Presario PC that contains a replacement hard drive, QuickRestore will be unable to identify the model of the PC.

SOLUTION

Follow the steps below to write the BOMID to the UIA area of the hard drive:

1. Insert the QuickRestore diskette (when applicable) and CD into the appropriate drives, then restart the computer.

NOTE: If a QuickRestore boot diskette is not included with the
QuickRestore kit, you can create this diskette from the BOOTDISK
subdirectory on the QuickRestore CD.

2. From the initial screen (Program Language Selection), Exit the
QuickRestore utility.

3. From the A:\> prompt type uiabomwr_xxx (where xxx is the BOMID of the PC), then press Enter.

EXAMPLE: A:\uiabomwr 201 would store the 201 BOMID (for a Compaq Presario model 8772) into the UIA area of the hard drive.

NOTE: On future Versions of QuickRestore CDs, the uiabomwr.exe utility will be located in the TOOLS directory of the QuickRestore CD.

Author: COMPAQ - John C

·
Registered
852 Posts
This monster probably came with a Quantum bigfoot. The only HD I could make work in it was an old maxtor 1.3 gig, it wouldn't see an IBM deskstar 20g, It wouldn't even see a WD 2 gig. Only the Maxtor. I gave up and made it a slave to the server with 1.3 gig and win98se.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Upgrade is great but the way prices are going....buy new...less hassel and more productive...some systems (Compaq... ewhhh) are ment to be end of life....Sounds like you have computer knowlege...bump it up to the next level get another machine and network em...

IMO:angel:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.