Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a cheap rebuilt compaq 4300 pro desktop. It is SLOW. So I bought a cpu which is compatible (Intel® Core™ i7-3770S (3.1 GHz, 8 MB cache, 4 cores) and installed it. When I plugged it in I got three beeps and red lights (no white) and the screen did not come on. So I reinstalled it and this time green lights and the fans came on but not the monitor or key board or mouse. I read that I should have updated the bios first so I reinstalled the old cpu and the same thing happened- green lights and fan but no screen, mouse, or keyboard. I tried unplugging and holding the power button for 10 seconds but all to no avail. Please help!!!!

· Team Manager, Microsoft Support
33,750 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I basically did everything in that post, except I did not update my bios first. I followed the instructions that HP gave for changing a cpu which was basically the same (except they left out the updating the bios part!). I cleaned the old thermal paste with rubbing alcohol and the whole nine yards. I don’t know why the fan should be working but no power to the mouse or keyboard or monitor. I thought putting in the old cpu would allow it to boot up so I could update my bios and then put in the new one. I can’t fathom why I’m getting the same problem with the old cpu, I did everything in that post

33,750 Posts
Just to be sure, there's no way into your bios now that you can't get into computer? There''s still a possibility if you keep pressing F10, F2, F12, F1, or DEL (I think it's F10 on your unit) immediately on power up. Just keep hitting the key.

33,750 Posts
A little late now, but besides a new CPU, you also need new chipset drivers for it to function efficiently.(bios)

· Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
44,583 Posts
You can't "Fry" drivers as they are just software. You may have Fried something on the motherboard.
You can download the Chipset driver for your motherboard from the HP download site for your model but you need to boot into Windows to use it
You can try Clearing the CMOS

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I took out the battery and reset the cmos (for this particular model there’s a button you press for 5 seconds inside the tower) and still nothing. I even tried holding the windows + b buttons and still no power to the key board and no signal to the monitor.

33,750 Posts
If you did this with the original CPU in, I'd guess the MOBO is done for. Hate to say it, but sometimes old and slow is better than a paperweight. Not worth taking to a shop unless they say they'd test for free and estimate how much repairs (parts) would cost.

· Registered
1 Posts
So I tried it, no dice. The fan takes about 2 or 3 mins to kick on but the lights are green and the cd rom tray opens but no signal to either monitor or power to the mouse or keyboard
I've had a similar problem on one of my builds, it was a loose connection on the power wires to the MB. Unplug & replug all power wires. One of mine was part way in and it looked like it was OK but when I re-did it, all worked.

· Registered
215 Posts
HP and Compac's are a PINA to update.

I picked up 2 old XW9400 dual processor motherboards and had a terrible time getting them up and running. Got 2 matched sets of 6 core CPU's for them and couldn't get them going.

Finally, to get them going, I had to purchase a matched set of dual-core CPU's and got both motherboards to work.

I had to update the BIOS's on both to get the motherboard to except the 6 core CPU's.

Put the original CPU back in, then reset it again as you did in post 11 above. Check that the pins in the socket are not misaligned or that the pins are free of CPU grease. Before you set in the old CPU.

The HP xw9400 motherboard's that I have are finicky. Make sure all the memory chips are seated correctly, then reset again as in post 11.

I also have a Tyan S2927, also a dual socket motherboard, and the guy I bought it from shipped it without the CPU covers. It came with 2 CPU heat sinks, but he didn't clean off the old CPU grease on them, and the semi-dried grease got into the socket pins. Although he rapped the heat sinks in bubble wrap, one of the heat sink brackets slipped out and bent some of the socket pins.

I had to use a whole bottle of isopropyl alcohol in a sprayer to clean out the semi-dried CPU grease in the sockets.

I used an X-Acto knife with a magnifying glass to re-bend or re-seat the socket pins. Works perfectly now.

So take your time and use a good light and a magnifying glass to check those pins in the CPU socket. Re-seat the old CPU then try again.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've had a similar problem on one of my builds, it was a loose connection on the power wires to the MB. Unplug & replug all power wires. One of mine was part way in and it looked like it was OK but when I re-did it, all worked.
thanks for the suggestion. I tried it and no luck

· Registered
215 Posts
Would that explain why the keyboard does not seem to be working?
I believe so. Until the motherboard gets a good Power On Self Test (POST) routine, none of the ports will work.

I would pull the CMOS battery, then hold down the CMOS reset button for a few seconds, put the CMOS battery back in, then try to boot the system, of course with the old CPU installed.

Also on the HP xw9400 motherboards they didn't have the jumper pins installed so you couldn't do a full BIOS update. The HP Service Manual showed where the jumpers where, on the motherboard and you could see the jumper markings on the board.

So in order to update the BIOS the manual said to put a jumper those pins. Because the jumper pins where not installed I simple made a solder bridge over the traces on the back side of the motherboard.

Wanted to put that last paragraph in because HP/Compac makes it almost impossible to update their BIOS's with out some soldering ability.

· Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
44,583 Posts
??? I think you are confusing Clearing the CMOS (ie) CMOS Reset button or removing the CMOS Jumper that putting it back on, with Updating the Bios, Flashing (updating) the Bios requires downloading a file from the HP site and running it in Windows, or saving that file to a Flash drive and accessing it from the Bios.
You do not need to Clear the CMOS to Update the Bios.
And I don't know what kind of harm you may have caused by soldering the Clear CMOS pins.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts