Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work in recruitment/ employment agency and have helped with the new website/graphics etc

Our director would like to brand each sector individually with a logo/picture to complement our original company logo.
We have various divisions including Nursing, Industrial, Office, finacial etc etc
Here is a good example http://www.diamond-rec.co.uk/

I am looking for some advice, possibly for some experts or people who have done this type of thing before and some do's and donts or links to places where i can find further advice

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Design Team
2,274 Posts
Fooddestroyer,
The most crucial thing to remember when doing company branding and identity is that identity comes first. The most important step is making the design represent the company — making it pretty comes second. Here's an example of what I mean. The official font for SUNY New Paltz is Gill Sans. Eric Gill (the designer of the font) was a Religious fanatic, and to some extent a sexual predator. Obviously, the people that made this decision were either more worried about making things pretty, or they actually wanted to represent the school as being full of Religious fanatics and sexual predators.
Another thing to keep in mind is that you should avoid anything superfluous. For everything you put into the logo, make sure there's a reason for it in the composition and overall meaning of the image.
...Simplicity is timeless. Take these for example: the logo for GE, designed in 1890, and the International Paper trademark, designed in 1960 by Lester Beall. They get the point across pretty well. A good group to look up would be Chermayeff & Geismar Associates, who did corporate identity commissions for companies like Time Warner, NBC, AT&T, girl scouts, United Way, etc etc etc.
Once you've got your identity down, you add the decorative fluff if it's wanted — just remember not to over-do it.
I know that you already have a logo and are just making sub-divisions of it, but I hope this gives you alittle inspiration.
-Six

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent, informative responce old boy. Those original logos metioned are still cool eh?
Minimalist seems the way to go..

·
2,274 Posts
all the old boys are still cool, the modernists are a little quirky... but alot of them like Tschichold renounced alot of their modernist thought as they got older... And then there's the Bauhaus, but who could say anything bad about them?

·
2,274 Posts
Well, I thought the list of Chermayeff's work was a bit long there, and I just remembered why. Saul Bass is the designer that much of that work should be attributed to... he's probably not the best person to look up anyway, as you'll probably get alot of movie stuff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.