Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK this may sound stupid,but when I boot up my computer,the monitor just sits there with the 'no input signal' box.I've made sure all cable connections are sound.However,on this older comp the monitor works fine.Any ideas guys?

Thanks, Andy

PS...my comp wont turn off by the button on the front,I have to unplug it to get it to turn off :sigh:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well,from what I can see there is a 'card' slotted on to the motherboard....about 6 inches long and 2 wide.It has various small stickers attached,one of which reads V8170MAGIC/T/P64M/A.Oh and its a browny-yellow colour.Is that a PCI card?

Thanks, Andy

·
Registered
9,639 Posts
Hi Andy,
It sounds like a PCI Card. Look at the back of the PC to see if it may have an onboard card (it will be a blue 15 pin connector higher up on the tower). Some MoBo will have one onboard. The PCI video Card may have been added. If you can give me the specs of the MoBo, I will beable to tell if it has an onboard video card. If you do not see a blue (Usually) 15 pin connector (Higher up on the tower) it may not have onboard video, you may have to replace the PCI video card.
Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your kind support Bill,its greatly appreciated.OK I've dug up the manual for the mobo and its an ASUS A7N266-VM.There are two 15 pin connectors...both blue...one higher up marked 'COM2' and the other lower down with a monitor symbol next to it.The lower one would appear to connect to the card.

Many thanks, Andy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh and just reconnected the troublesome PC in question and when I boot it from the start button,not only does the monitor register nothing but the PC itself just idles and won't turn off by the button.Only unplugging it turns it off.I hope this is caused only by a malfunctioning video card and nothing more serious :sigh:

Thanks, Andy

·
Registered
9,639 Posts
Hi Andy,
Here is a spec sheet on your Mobo:
http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Asustek-A7N266-VM.
You do have an onboard video card from what I can see off the spec sheet. If there is an additional video card (PCI) it would be on the lower end of the tower. You state that you see a video card added to a PCI slot(V8170MAGIC/T/P64M). It is possible this card is bad. I would remove it (Disconnect the power first) and hook up the monitor to the onboard video and reboot. See if you get the monitor to show a screen of some sort (You may need to get an updated driver). It is possible the onboard video is inoperative that is why there is a PCI video card added (both maybe bad), but in most cases the Pci video card was added to enhance the video. Let me know if you get a screen with the onboard video.
Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Bill, I did as you suggested...removed the PCI card and plugged the monitor into the blue 15 plug connector higher up (marked COM2)...I'm assuming this is the onboard video card connection point?Still no image on the monitor though.Should I re-install the PCI card?

Thanks, Andy

PS...I noticed on the monitor cable that there is one pin missing.Though if this was the cause,why does the older comp I'm on now still recognise the monitor?Surely neither comp would get an image.

·
Registered
9,639 Posts
Hi Andy,
I am unsure of the connection you are using for the monitor (COM 2). Here is a link that contains the owners manual for this MoBo:
http://www.unitycorp.co.jp/support/download/manual/a/a7n266_vm_e.pdf
Browse through this manual and confirm the correct connection.
When you boot up this PC do you get any other activity (Lights, CD-Rom, HD)? I am concerned that you have to pull the plug to get this to shut off. I would check the pin connections on the Mobo (Power, HDD Led Reset Switch) and all other internal MoBo connections. After this I would try an inexspensive PCI video card. It is also possible the power supply has failed. It may power parts of the PC, but not all. Are you getting any type of beep codes when you try to turn this on?
Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Bill,I've examined the manual and the COM2 connector appears the very one in my own manual I have here.The diagram of the rear of the comp shows a 'monitor output connector' (blue,15 pin VGA) in the very place I connected the monitor cable today,even though on MY comp it is labelled 'COM2'.

When I boot up I get the usual LED lights on the front...though no beeping at all.I've looked in the manual and it says 'one long beep followed by three short beeps' indicates 'video card not found or video card memory bad'.I just get lights on constantly and no beeping whatsoever.

·
Registered
9,639 Posts
Does the cd-rom open? Do you here the HD starting up? Are the PC, CPU fans spinning? Was this a working PC and all of a sudden it quit? Did you have a power failure recently?
The reason for asking these questions is I find it hard to believe both the PCI and onboard video cards are bad (Although its possible). I am beginning to believe it is a power supply problem or MoBo.
Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Bill, sorry for the delay in replying but I've had trouble with this replacement comp too (boot failure but fixed it).Anyway,about the PC in question....no the CD-rom doesn't open,neither do I hear the hard drive starting up (though I'm not sure what that sounds like).However,the fan works and yes it was a working PC until about a week ago then suddenly packed up.I can't remember there being a power failure recently though its possible.All that happens when I start it via the start button is that a green light and red light come on full and stay on solid...and the fan starts.Thats it...nothing else functions.You must be right about a power failure supply :sigh: Does this mean a new MoBo and would that fix the problem?

Thank you, Andy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Bill, thank you for the link.I'll look into getting one of those multimeters,however I'm on a tight budget right now especially leading up to xmas (the wife has hold of the purse strings lol).But thank you very much for all your help,it really is greatly appreciated.You take care,

Andy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.