Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I was using a 30 day trial of AVG premium when it expired the other day. I downloaded the Free version and ran the program. During the install, I was given 3 options to
1) Repair AVG
2) Remove AVG
3) Download, Run, and Install the free version.

I clicked the third as it was the option I wanted. During the install I was told that the Free Version did not have a firewall and was given the option to turn on the Windows Firewall, I clicked yes. Everything went smoothly. After restarting my computer, I noticed I had no internet connection. I have gone into the My Network Places and done the connection wizard to no results. Nothing on that Computer will connect to the internet, however, my xbox360 and my wife's computer (which are all on the exact same modem and wireless router all connect fine. I have checked the cable connection on both ends, restarted the modem and router, even unplugged my wife's cable and put that in my computer and still no internet.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

-Pat

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
43,131 Posts
go to Start/Run and type devmgmt.msc and press enter. In the Device Manager do you see any yellow marks next to devices like the Network Adapter? If so, you need to download the driver for that device at your computer manufacturers Support/Download Drivers page. If not, then go to Start/run and type ncpa.cpl and press enter. Right click the Local Area Connection/Properties scroll down to Internet Protocol (TCP-IP)/Properties, Make sure Obtain an IP Address and DNS Server Address Automatically are both checked. Then go to Start/Run and type CMD and press enter. In the Command Prompt type ipconfig /release and press enter. the IP Address changes to 0.0.0.0 now type ipconfig /flushdns and press enter. Now type ipconfig /renew you should have a new IP address try going on the internet.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
1,835 Posts
I would also try uninstalling AVG with their remover tool at AVG - Download tools and reinstall the free version afterwards.

Personally, I don't think AVG is that good anymore. It's quite a resource hog and doesn't protect as well as it used to. I would recommend Avast or Avira instead.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked at my device manager, and under network adapters I have 4 items. 3 of them have a yellow "!" but I have not changed my router or ISP modem for some time now. I cannot connect to the internet to download the drivers for it either as... well, there is no connection. I tried doing thew cmd prompts and all I got after every entry was "windows ip configuration". nothing more. nothing stating that the ip address has been set to 0.0.0.0

I have removed AVG with the uninstall tool that it came with and there was no effect.

·
Registered
30 Posts
When you go to Start/run and type ncpa.cpl, look at the connections shown. There should be a Local Area Connection (and a wireless connection if you have a wireless adapter installed). Make sure you are on Detail View (see the Views button up above) and see what it says under Status, and then under Device Name it will show you the name of your network adapter. Post the status (or if no Local Area Connection is showing), and see if there is an exclamation point on that adapter in your Device Manager.
You might just do a System Restore back to before you uninstalled the AVG.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Local Area Connection: Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC. Status: Connected, Firewalled. Under device manager, I have 4 network adapters. This exact one does NOT have a "!"

"HP EN1207D-TX PCI 10/100 FAST ETHERNET ADAPTER-AVG MINI PORT DRIVER"
"Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC-AVG MINI PORT DRIVER"
"WANMINI PORT (IP)-AVG MINI PORT DRIVER"

these three connections DO have "!" under device manager

·
TSF - Enthusiast
1,835 Posts
If you get that one and install it, if you need the others, you can then download them directly with that computer. Personally, I would replace them all since they were all changed by AVG.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.