1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya

Bit of background:
I always run virus checks, chkdsk, sfc, defrag, etc etc

Last week I scheduled the chkdsk to start when I turned on the computer, restarted, and got a blue screen "a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer blah blah

*** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x8AE16848, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)"

so I restarted and booted with the "Last known working config" thing and it worked. Then I (probably stupidly) tried the chkdsk again, restarted and got the same blue screen, only this time no matter how many times I restarted tried to load in safe mode and last known good config.

Following the advice from another site I downloaded bart's PE builder, burned it to a cd (using the working comp I'm on now) and used it on my knackered computer. I then got on there and ran the chkdsk, which worked! seemed to clean up quite a few files etc then I restarted.

This time no blue screens, but monitor is totally blank, just a black screen. I can restart and load up PE builder again but have no clue what my next step shud be.

If anyone could help I'd love you forever.

On a side note I bought a new graphics card + ram a few weeks ago but everything had been working fine up until now.

Please help, I'm desperate!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for replies

It's a maxtor hdd, about 3 years old, I've tried downloading the testing tools but can't install them through PE builder. I've tried taking out both the ram and the memory and replacing with the old but I'm just getting the same result. Is there a way I can replace the radeon 9250 driver manually with pe builder?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yep it did say that. the problem with a reinstall is i have no xp boot disk because it came installed on the computer. i found the setup file in the i368 folder through PE builder, but as i can't log onto windows i can't reinstall it. if i copied it to an external hdd would i be able to find the serial key on a different computer, then burn it to a cd and boot up off the disk?

·
Registered
655 Posts
nope that wouldnt work, only way is to borrow a friends..and use your key.
that or ask around for someone with one that can let u borrow it

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok thanks for the quick reply. i've just found out my girlfriend has a boot disk, but how can i find out what my key is? i've tried opening magic jelly bean key finder thing through PE builder on my pc but it won't work. if i could copy and paste my i368 folder onto external hdd, is there a program i could use to find the key from it? if i run it on the computer i'm on it'll just find the key from my girlfriend's comp rather than the one on my external drive

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haha well i'm feeling stupid now. there's a sticker on my computer that has a key (25 characters), is this likely to be it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it doesn't work! AAGH! i've put the windows cd in, it copies all the files onto the computer etc. the computer reboots, then i get the blank black screen again.

if it's something to do with the video card driver is there anything i can do? i've taken out the radeon card i installed so there's just the intergrated intel graphics inside (which i disabled so i could install the radeon one).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok thanks

if i do a fresh installation on my C:\ will it install over the top of my os? or should i format my computer first?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
when i'm setting up using the xp disk it shows 3 different partitions i have the option of installing on, should i delete them all before i install. i don't mind losing stuff, i've already backed up all my data etc. just want a full fresh install

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.