Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm writing this as quickly as possible before my computer shuts off again.

I tried running the latest 3dMark two days ago, which apparently ignited a recurring problem that I've been having with my computer. Namely, when running many 3D applications, my computer will, after several minutes, appear to go into "suspend," i.e. the monitor will go blank, the mouse will shut off, and the computer will become totally unresponsive. I have to shut it off directly to be able to restart at all; the reset button does nothing.

So, while running 3dMark this happened, and since then, my computer will run for less then 5 minutes before shutting down in this manner. Immediately after I ran 3dMark it would shut down immediately as Windows began to load, now, it seems to be able to wait awhile.

I have absolutely no idea what the problem could be. I have updated by BIOS, replaced my power supply, and upgraded my video card, all to no avail. I have also removed both the sound and ethernet card, unhooked the cd drive and floppy drive, unplugged in the fans inside the case, tried any number of BIOS settings combinations, and switched the RAM into innumerable positions. None of these have worked.

I would love to hear all your thoughts on just what the hell is going on with my computer, because I am at a total loss. Whatever it is, I hope it doesn't cost too much to fix.

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) processor 1.2 GHz
BIOS: VIA694 - 42302e31 Ver 1.64 Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG, 10/07/02
Memory: 512 MB
Video Chipset: NVIDIA GeForce3 Ver. 6.13

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I'm going to guess that you have a processor cooling issue. Check the integrity of the heatsink and processor fan. Also check to make sure the heatsink is properly secured and has a good thermal bond with the processor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
johnwill said:
I'm going to guess that you have a processor cooling issue. Check the integrity of the heatsink and processor fan. Also check to make sure the heatsink is properly secured and has a good thermal bond with the processor.
My CPU runs at a comfy 36C, so I don't think it could be a heating issue. What's strange, however, is that my computer now works again. Suddenly, after several hours of turning it on and off, it just started working. I have yet to try running any kind of 3D application (I'm terrified of the consequences). I have no idea what could be going on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.