Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed a geforce 8600 GT 512mb on my comp and it has been lagging. My gaming is fine, but starting up different types of programs (such as internet explorer, azureus, aim... etc.) are SLOWER compared to when i had my previous ATI x300 card 128 MB. Why is this? Is there anyway I can speed it up?

It's not so much a problem, but I guess an annoyance. Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you

dell dimension 8400
3.19 ghz 1gb ram
windows xp SP2

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
hello

you would bennifit if you posted your issue in the forum for video cards

but just to ask when you installed the cards drivers did you compleatly uninstall the other cards drivers ?

when you intalled the card did you let windows install the card for you ( not a good idea you should of canceled that option as many times as nessasary to stop it ) then insatalled your drivers for the new card /then defrag / then check for driver updates for your new card ( drivers are constantly being updated and yours may be out dataed for how long did that card sit on the shelf in the store or warehouse

also check your device manager for any ( red or yellow ) quotation marks / this means you are having driver issues and need to either update them or reinstall them

also is the card in the right slot on the mother board for some card need to be in a certain slot / i had to install mine into slot #1 but yet i have 3 other slots

also if you have the time you can work your way thru the device manager and change the (veiw ) to show ( all hidden devices ) then right click each one then from the drop down menu and left click the ( update driver ) to make sure your drivers are all updated

Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
hello

you would bennifit if you posted your issue in the forum for video cards

but just to ask when you installed the cards drivers did you compleatly uninstall the other cards drivers ?

when you intalled the card did you let windows install the card for you ( not a good idea you should of canceled that option as many times as nessasary to stop it ) then insatalled your drivers for the new card /then defrag / then check for driver updates for your new card ( drivers are constantly being updated and yours may be out dataed for how long did that card sit on the shelf in the store or warehouse

also check your device manager for any ( red or yellow ) quotation marks / this means you are having driver issues and need to either update them or reinstall them

also is the card in the right slot on the mother board for some card need to be in a certain slot / i had to install mine into slot #1 but yet i have 3 other slots

also if you have the time you can work your way thru the device manager and change the (veiw ) to show ( all hidden devices ) then right click each one then from the drop down menu and left click the ( update driver ) to make sure your drivers are all updated

Mike
when I installed the card, I didn't uninstall my previous card's drivers, BUT i did after installing the drivers on the CD. I used the CD, instead of windows to install my drivers. I defragged a few days ago. I have updated my video card drivers to the most recent(this november's), and windows was actually faster a little bit.
The only yellow mark on my device manager is VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394, which is related to firewire stuff. I probably didn't push it in enough the slot.

Will changing the slot of my video card affect my comp speed?

NOOBIE Question:
is it possible that it is running slower because I need more RAM for this video card?

Thanks for your suggestions and advice.
(admin!! please move this thread to video graphics section if possible! Thx)

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
hello narb,

sorry for the late reply

adding memory/ram will always help a pc but what could be affecting your system is the amount of processes on your system that are running

also a infected pc that is loaded down with cookies/music/video's/SPYWARE/MALEWARE/ the type of antivirus / a memory hog / a processor hog / there are many thinga that can slow down a system and bring it to it's knees

i know that this is all confusing but it all has effect on the performance of a computer

i would need to know alot more about your system spec's to really be able to give you advice

Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.