Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just noticed that Comodo firewall creates a file that you can't remove by simply deleting in the C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp directory. For me, the files name is ~DFFBA6.tmp (but can change characters). Anyone else getting that? Is this file supposed to be hard to delete? This is all from my limited account, it's my primary account. I even ran the cmd prompt as admin and tried to del "filename" by dragging and dropping. Still nothing.

I was finally able to delete this file in safe mode by using what another forum member suggested to someone which was cd to the directory and do attrib -r -a -s -h *.* and then del /f on the file. This worked, but when I got back into my account another file ~DFFCB7.tmp (or something, I can't recall the exact characters) was created to take its place.

Now, when I uninstall Comodo, the file can be deleted using normal means and the .tmp file doesn't come back, so I know it's being created by Comodo.

What do you pro's think? I can open the file with a text editor, but only portions of it are readable. On the first two lines there's an entry that reads Root Entry, and then further down in the garble, I can see an entry that reads hewlet packard and then some more that reads adobe photoshop. The rest of the characters are jumbled.

Am I reading too much into this, is this just a harmless file that the firewall needs to operate correctly? I've just never had a firewall create a file in one of my temp folders that I couldn't delete.

Cheers,

·
Citizen of the world
51,137 Posts
The reason you can't delete the file is it's a temp file that is currently in use by the program. Just leave it, what's the big deal?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.