Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I deleted a file and I believe it was the wrong file and cannot remember what it was nor where it was. Now a DOS window opens on start-up. It says file not found.
Then goes to the system32 folder.

If I close the DOS window before the start-up finishes, then OS does not complete starting up. If I wait until start-up finishes, then the window just stays open and the system works normally, I can close window without errors.

How can I find out what is trying to open and causing this? Sure would like to reinstall whatever is going wrong.

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went back 3 weeks and it did not change. Then I went back 2 months and it did not change. This is before I have this happening.

Is there a program which will show all the steps taken on booting? I could trace the error from that.

Otherwise, what do I do?

Thanks,
Carl

·
Registered
40,869 Posts
Go to Start/All Programs/Startup to see what some programs might start with Windows.
You can also go to Start/Run and type msconfig and press enter. Go to the Startup tab to see a list of all of the programs that start with Windows.
You can also download Autoruns which will give you a detailed list of all programs that are set to Autorun at startup.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
startup is empty

msconfig will not let me change any of the startup items. Says I need administrator privileges (I am the only user and have adm priv)

I have autoruns but it does not show what has not loaded. Unless I just am unable to locate the item. There are A LOT of items there, literally hundreds.

I believe the file I deleted was in the doc and settings, my user name, app data with a hex type folder name and a file listed under there.

Sure wish I had never seen it!!!!

·
Registered
40,869 Posts
Are you logged in as an Admin user?
Reboot the computer and press F8. At the Advanced Boot menu choose Safe Mode with Networking. Here log in as the Built in Administrator not as your user name.
Go to Control Panel/User Accounts and make sure your user name is an Admin account and not a limited user.
Now try msconfig from there.
Files under Appdata, with hex type folder would be a Windows Update file.
Log in normally and go to Windows Update and update everything, reboot, and check on Windows Update again, do this until there are no more updates.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will Microsoft let me update? Last time I tried was for Security Essentials and it would not allow any update.

·
Registered
40,869 Posts
Do you have a Genuine version of Windows? Look at the report produced by the MGADiag tool when you run it http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012
If you have a Genuine version of Windows but can't download MSE update, then you are most likely infected.
Please click on the link in my signature for Virus/Malware Help. Do those things and post in that section of the Forum and not here, please.
While waiting for the Security team to respond. Download Junkware Removal Tool. Run it. A DOS window appears, press Any key. It will scan automatically.
Also download ADWCleaner, Run it, Install it, Scan, leave everything checked. Clean. Both of these last programs will show a text document when they are done to show you what it has removed. These programs will remove any unwanted toolbars, or other files that run at startup you don't need.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.