Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Comcast 10 MB cable. GREAT. Never had a problem for 3 years, but now, for the past 4 weeks my ping spikes to 500-1500 every 2 minutes. Its INCREDIBLY ANNOYING. Totally useless for anything other than browsing on the web. Like i said it just spikes on any bandwidth extensive program, ex. Counter-Strike, any FPS, Ventrilo, even chat programs!! I do a speed test on Speakeasy.net and i get 11mb download, 500-800kb upload.. Normal? Yes, actually my peak speeds, the upload is higher than expected, yet i spike!! Someone help i cant take much more of this!!

I recommend: ********** -- WAY more reliable. Screw comcast.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,026 Posts
It worked great for three years, and now you can't wait for Comcast to fix the issue? Perhaps if you'd provide them some help...

Sign up at www.dslreports.com and run their line quality tests. I used those to get Comcast to fix my service when they had a network issue.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i ran the line tests, and it wont let me, said it cant ping me XD

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,026 Posts
You need to configure your router or software firewall to allow PINGS for the test to run.

I'd like to see the results of the test before I recommend further action.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how do i configure the router to accept pings. i just reset factory setting on my router and it didn't help.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,026 Posts
Well, you clearly have a MAJOR issue right at your location, or the first Comcast gateway. Those ping times really SUCK! For reference, here's a recent line quality test I ran last month. http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2138256

Have you tried connecting directly to the comcast modem bypassing the router and running these tests? I'd be interested to see if it changes.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,026 Posts
Yep, and note the first hop times are normal. This appears to be either a Comcast issue or a bad modem/house wiring. Do you have a low-loss cable running directly from the cable service entrance to the cable modem? If not, that's one step you can take.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i plugged strait into modem -- nothing happened but i couldnt for too long. Now, back to normal thru router... no lag for 2 days now :p well... i hope it stays like this

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.