Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this isn't too dumb a question.
Would the same router work on both comcast cable and DSL?
Only asking because the shape of the comcast and DSL cables are different when the come into the modem.
So I assume the wire is the same with both DSL and cable from the modem to the router?

Thanks,

Ross

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,024 Posts
If you have ethernet equipped modems, the same type of router will work with either service.

How about telling us the exact make/model of the modem and router in question, which makes this process more informative. :smile:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, I have the comcast right now with a Motorola 585120 modem.
Everything works fine but I am moving so I have no idea what the DLS modem would be like if there is a modem.
The modem I have comes out with an ethernet cable so I guess that is what I should have asked, right?
If DSL has a modem that converts to the same ethernet?

R

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,024 Posts
Again, we need to know the exact make/model of the DSL modem. Some are USB only and not compatible with a router. Others are Ethernet connected and will work with a router. Finally, many are modem/router combination devices and may need some additional configuration to work with your router.

We need to know the EXACT models of the DSL modem and the router you intend to use to really be of much help.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,024 Posts
Again, we need to know the exact make/model of the DSL modem. Some are USB only and not compatible with a router. Others are Ethernet connected and will work with a router. Finally, many are modem/router combination devices and may need some additional configuration to work with your router.

We need to know the EXACT models of the DSL modem and the router you intend to use to really be of much help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually John, what you said (quoted below) will help me out so I know what to look for going forward.
So thanks a bunch!

I can always post more later if I need to.

quote from last reply."Some are USB only and not compatible with a router. Others are Ethernet connected and will work with a router."

RVD

·
Registered
19 Posts
Router will work as long as you configure it correctly with the modem using cable or dsl. if you're going to move to dsl, your provider will give you new modem, then just reconfigure your router and it should work.

i think all modems will be connected to a router using ethernet cable. alternate way will be USB (very rare) but most of the time it's ethernet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks very much.

I have heard before that I should reconfigure the router.
They say I should do it to take advantage of faster comcast?

Can you tell me how to do this?
I have no idea how to reconfigure a router?
Usually I just plug things in the correct plugs, and boot them up in the correct order.
THats all I know?

R

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.