Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have something weird going on with my Sony VIAO laptop. I have a CD-RW/DVD combo drive. It will read CD's no problem and when I put a CD in it autoplays like normal.

However, when I put in a DVD it starts to spin and then stops. I can't get it to detect the newly inserted DVD. It doesn't show up in the Explorer and I can't read anything on it. With a DVD inserted, I can click on the DVD drive under Windows Explorer and it reads nothing and just goes to a blank screen as though there are no files on the DVD. These DVDs are not home written but are movies.

Thanks for any input!!

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
I sometimes have the same problem with DVDs, but only with poor quality media (cheap discs). In Windows Explorer try hitting F5 to refresh a few times. Do you hear the drive spinning and see the light flashing? Can the drive read data DVDs?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Once it spins for a very short while, it stops spinning and the light goes out. It just sits there.

Hitting the F5 key does nothing. Also, opening and closing the drive does nothing.

It does however read a data DVD.

What does that mean?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Install Win Dvd Or Nero Dvd Software.
If You Dont Have Any Go To The Mfg. Website And Download Drivers/software For That Device

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.