Tech Support banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. I am currently running Windows 10 v1909 64-bit. The attachment is a number-crunching program which I have been using since 2005. Prime95. Perhaps a few here may be familiar with it.

My problem is simple. The brilliant white background. I experimented with the color filter settings. I could reverse everything, which made my near-black desktop a bright white. That will not work. I suppose I could set the desktop to a bright white then reverse it. I used to not have any problems with it being as it has always been. However, with my eyesight degrading, it appears as a glare more than anything else. I approached the author a few years ago about this and made a couple of requests. He simply blew me off. After 29 major revisions and many different builds of each, I have a feeling he doesn't remember how to work with the GUI.

I am looking for suggestions...

Attachments

·
Registered
BSOD Analyst Student at Sysnative com
227 Posts

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,554 Posts
storm 5510 I am just not sure what you are asking here as I have read it several times. Are you saying the white background becomes more difficult in time to read with the aging process causing a sort of blurring if so I agree. That is one of the reasons I use Ms Outlook for email as I find the white background of most browser based email hard on the eyes and Outlook offers a lot of different shadings that make it easier to read a lot of email.
As a forum I just read we are moving to new software Xen-Foro which allows a lot more background "skin" changes allowing us to get away from this solid white background format which I also find blurs too easily the more time one spends on it.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One option. https://www.amazon.com/JOSCHOO-Blocking-Glasses-lightweight-Computer/dp/B07V1FBZCD/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=glare+blocking+readers&qid=1593962736&s=apparel&sr=1-6
I use a version of these I obtained at Wal-Mart and they work well for glare.

What is the purpose for running Prime95 enough for the background to matter? I'm only curious and not suggesting you change your habits or what you run on your computer. :)
My purpose is for its associated project. https://www.mersenne.org. I don't look at it all that much but doing so is required at times. It runs minimized most of the time.

I have glasses. They need new lenses. I got them when I worked at Walmart and all I had to pay for was the frames. The frames and lenses are Rayban. The total cost in early 2016 was around $470 USD. What was I thinking?

·
283 Posts
I use Prime95 to stability test every build I do (1 of 5 programs I use for that). Never thought about changing the background color and I have used it literally thousands of times. I suppose you could try some of the accessibility windows themes maybe? I believe with Windows 10 you have to manually toggle some options to make things how you want but it should auto-skin your P95 instance to something you can read better.

·
Registered
227 Posts
My purpose is for its associated project. https://www.mersenne.org. I don't look at it all that much but doing so is required at times. It runs minimized most of the time.

I have glasses. They need new lenses. I got them when I worked at Walmart and all I had to pay for was the frames. The frames and lenses are Rayban. The total cost in early 2016 was around $470 USD. What was I thinking?
:cool: I wasn't aware of that project, thanks for sharing.

I don't care for the white background either. Anything that has a dark theme, I use it. Of course, it's not always an option or done well.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:cool: I wasn't aware of that project, thanks for sharing.
That project started in 1996. The original program was a console application I believe. I'm not sure when it went to GUI. A Linux equivalent is called mprime and it is still console. The source code for Prime95 is available for download. It is mixed C++ and Assembly. The author, George Woltman, is a MIT alum.

The project has a forum, https://www.mersenneforum.org. I have been a member since 2009. The majority of the members are Ivy League types. They are quick to belittle anyone who does not clearly understand very advanced mathematics, which I do not. A person must specifically know what to ask and how to write it. Any typos, misspellings, missing punctuation, missing capitalization, and use of contractions, is frowned on greatly, and they are quick to get after anyone about it. I visit there daily and virtually all of my visits are read-only. I've had my share of abuse from them. George allows them to get away with all this and I do not know why.

SpareChange said:
I use Prime95 to stability test every build I do (1 of 5 programs I use for that). Never thought about changing the background color and I have used it literally thousands of times.
Prime95's "Torture Test" is rugged. It is designed to be so. If there is a hardware deficiency of any type. it usually shows up. The actual purpose is to assure any test results returned to their servers is absolutely correct. The inflow of results is quite astonishing. Thousands every hour fed into their database with no human interaction required. There are lots of sets of eyes pouring over all this constantly. If anything does not seem right, it gets examined closely.

·
Registered
227 Posts
storm5510 The project has a forum said:
https://www.mersenneforum.org[/url]. I have been a member since 2009. The majority of the members are Ivy League types. They are quick to belittle anyone who does not clearly understand very advanced mathematics, which I do not. A person must specifically know what to ask and how to write it. Any typos, misspellings, missing punctuation, missing capitalization, and use of contractions, is frowned on greatly, and they are quick to get after anyone about it. I visit there daily and virtually all of my visits are read-only. I've had my share of abuse from them. George allows them to get away with all this and I do not know why.
That's a sure fire way to eliminate me from participating. I find this similar treatment in a lot (not all) of the Linux forums. I don't have the personality nor the inclination to entertain these kinds of people. One would think that mentoring the uninitiated would spread the knowledge, ergo have a positive impact on a community.

·
283 Posts
Any luck on getting P95 easier to read? BTW that's not the actual purpose of the test. 1. You have to allow info to be sent to the servers 2. It's meant to test overclocks but I use it for overall stability along with OCCT and 3 other programs on every rig hence I rarely get any returns at all. Everything I build and deliver is super stable.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any luck on getting P95 easier to read?
No, but I found a workaround and it took a little effort. Prime95 has a Linux variant which runs from a shell. mprime is its name. I had to activate the subsystem and get Ubuntu from the Windows Store. I've used it before, but not like this. It's strictly console. Gray text on a black background. This is what I wanted. I had to do some refreshing with the Linux commands. It's really tough about permissions and security. It runs properly, and no glare. :smile:

·
283 Posts
That's awesome I have done the same in the past didn't know you were a linux user. You can use an accessibility theme in Windows I tested it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts