Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

So I recently came across this deal to get Windows 7 for college students for $30 with a valid .edu email, which sounds like a good deal.

My question is that upon checking out it says this for the product in my shopping cart.

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Upgrade 32 Bit Disk Kit: Only $13 - Shipping Included

Does upgrade mean that I can't do a fresh install off of this version of windows 7 because it only says upgrade? I would be upgrading from Windows XP to windows 7, which I think requires a fresh install of windows 7 anyways. Just want to make sure I'm not buying something i can't use.
Thanks

·
Administrator, Team Manager, Gaming, Team Manager,
54,105 Posts
Yes it the correct version you will get a D/L for the $30 the extra $13 is if you want the Disk mailed.

From XP you will need to do the Custom(full reinstall) so be prepared to reinstall all your programs.

Run the upgrade adviser first to see if you'll have any issues> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/upgrade-advisor.aspx

·
Registered
140 Posts
I never understood the difference between "Full version" and "Upgrade version." I've always been able to install upgrade versions without an O/S installed. Years ago, I would install DOS and run latest Windows install on there. I've done Windows XP upgrade installations on a blank hard disk with no problems. Just boot from CD and all goes well. Same thing with Windows 7, used upgrade version, installed fine on blank hard disk. I'm not sure if there is a difference other than price.

You found a good deal, but you might be able to get Windows 7 for free from your school via MSDNAA - now that's a Great Deal!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.