Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a used Coleman Powermate 4000 w generator. I had to clean the carburetor to get it running and for grins I checked the output voltage and I'm getting 135V hot to ground and 270V between the two hot leads. I bought the generator to use as a household backup in case of winter power failure to run the referigerator and a couple lights and hopefully my gas furnace blower motor.

Won't this high a voltage fry my equipment. Is there a way to lower the output voltage.

·
Registered
14,581 Posts
Did you have a load on it ? Use some thing of a decent size, like a 500 W lamp, or a heater. The voltage may drop to 110-120 range.

BG

·
Registered
604 Posts
We use a 1500 watt heater to "exercise" our genny every three months or so.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Most Colemans didn't have regulated power, RPM's are directly related to output, VAC. At 3600RPM it should put out 120VAC. Test between the 2 spade terminals in the standard 3 pronged 110/120 outlet, the ground is not used for output testing.

·
Moderator, Automotive Team
12,756 Posts
I have one of those mines a powermate 4000 teh choke screw is broken off in teh intake and teh return spring on the pull start is broken but I can use a 1/2" drill and crank it till it starts once I fix the choke I'll try to find a return coil spring

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,099 Posts
Wolfie: Your 10 years too late on this thread. OP hasn't been seen in 7 years here. ☹

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.