Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so...I bought some brand new Cold Cathodes, one being a UV and the other just a regular BLUE cold cathode. Now...when I plugged the UV one in, my computer just went nuts. (I did not plug the light into the computer, instead to an AC->DC converter, a normal power adapter) My sound, as I had music playing, started crackling and getting higher and lower and then I heard a pop and I looked at my computer, the side of the case being open already, and saw smoke coming out of my sound card. I also noticed that my computer was unresponsive and my optical mouse was freaking out and so was my wireless keyboard. Upon further inspection of my now non-functioning soundcard, I noticed that it was a bit charred, as to be expected, as it was smoking, and I looked in the bottom of my case and found what appears to be the chipset from the card. Basically, it would appear that the chip on the card exploded from some kind of funky frequency created by the cold cathode.

Question is, should I try to get the maker of the cathode to replace my soundcard?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I wouldn't bother, all the cold cathode kits i've seen and used say specifically not to install while the computer is running. That aside, it's a damn good idea to never install ANYTHING while your machine is running.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
No no. I did not install it into my computer. Didn't I say that? I plugged it into a 12v Wall Outlet Adapter and it was about 5 feet from my computer. I specifically said that I did not connect it to the computer. I was just seeing if it worked or whatnot and I just hooked it to a DC converter, a normal household appliance.

To be CLEAR. Since I was not before, I did NOT install it in my computer, it caused a problem for my computer when it was plugged in relatively far away from it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
i suppose you should, because there's no harm in doing it. Unless returning them to the shop is very troublesome of course.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.