Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello!

I just got a new computer (2 weeks) and at first I had it installed at my boyfriend, who lives in a larger appartment, and I did not notice the coil whine there.
Since I moved the computer to my own room, 11 m2, I notice a buzzing/humming/squeaky kind of sound from the power supply. It is not really bothering me, only when I pay attention to it. I usually have music on so it is not really a big problem. I am not going to send the computer back for such a small thing because the chance is big that I will get a computer with the same problem..

So, coil whine cannot do any harm right? And can it get worse or will it just stay the same? It is just very light, not really annoying.

but now it is kind of bothering me, but I was thinking..could this be a matter of wall outlets? I only have two and my monitor already has to have a seperate one otherwise it will display vertical stripes -.-"
So I only have two wall outlets, I've plugged the computer into a surge protector..can there be something wrong with the wall outlets?

I am afraid that it is not coil whine, but something else..it is more of an electrical buzzing sound when you sit next to it. From like a meter away it is high pitched..

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
The power source could be the problem. A low quality PSU would also be more susceptible to unstable power.
Can you move the PC to another location that is on a different circuit or back to the boy friends place to see if it continues.
PC Specs?
Pre-Built Brand & Model Number
Custom Built-Brand & Model of Mobo-CPU-RAM-Graphics-PSU.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The power source could be the problem. A low quality PSU would also be more susceptible to unstable power.
Can you move the PC to another location that is on a different circuit or back to the boy friends place to see if it continues.
PC Specs?
Pre-Built Brand & Model Number
Custom Built-Brand & Model of Mobo-CPU-RAM-Graphics-PSU.
Unstable power, what does that mean? And moving it will be very hard..I'm at college, which means I have my own room and it's more than 200 km away from my family..

Intel Core i7-2600K 3,4GHz
Asus Moederbord P8H67 (rev.3)
8GB DDR3 RAM Kingston
AMD Radeon 6950 2GB

http://gamepc.nl/upload/images/850-watt-fluister-stille-voeding.jpg

This is my PSU. I am now buying a new powercord and a surge protector to see if they might be the problem.. I am scared though that there might be something wrong with the circuit here..

The noise that my PSU is making is the same that a roomie of mine has as well. He knows a lot of computers and says that this is normal and that the PSU always makes a slight noise, but that my hearing is quite good and that I can hear the high pitched tones.
He cannot hear them when he is in my room..and I'm thinking..my boyfriend has a large room, what if the noise was there also, but not noticable because the room was so much larger.
I am now living in 11m2..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.