Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Windows config error : Code Purple?

Anyone ever hear of "Windows Configuration Error : Code Purple". Confused the hell out of me. This was on an OEM version of Windows XP, occured out of the box on the windows splash screen even before hitting the "out of box experience" to config XP for the first time. rebooted w/o error came right to the OOBE but im just curious what exactly this is. any help for the completely 'befuddled'. Could not find any reference through microsoft, google, or other tech forums.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
for future reference if anyone needs to know : it looks like the OEM software may cause this in most cases if it is not active in your start up list . why it occured out of the box is still odd but if it occurs out of the blue (or purple heheheheh....sigh) then try enabling any bundled OEM software if you can get into msconfig from safemode.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a solution here for the code purple error...well it worked for me. I bought a refurbished HP elite computer and it came to me with a stronger video card...which has ended blowing up the motherboard because the Power supply were'nt powerful enough. Anyway, my retailer (Futureshop, Canada) replaced the motherboard. When I came home I find my computer to have a code purple error because the tattoo from the motherboard was not the same as the other one...even if it was the same motherboard's model! So after a lot of research from the tech suport of Futureshop, then found that solution:

Under windows XP:
- Get into C:\hp\bin\CheckConfig\cfgchk.bat
- Rename the file "run.py" to "run.p_" or just delete it. (That's the file that verify the hardware configuration for the OEM version)
- Then reboot!

Under windows vista:
- Get into C:\hp\bin\CheckDMI folder
- Rename the file "CheckDMI.cmd" to "CheckDMI"
or
- Edit the file and change the "0" (zero) value (there is only one in the whole file) for "1" value...which means that the hardware configuration respect the terms of the OEM contract.
- Then reboot!

Well guys, that solution apply to HP computers, but i'm sure it can help in other cases, the logic is just the same. There's another problem though...you would have to find a solution that enable you to get to the files in question...so you have to find a way to get trough code purple. My solution is that I have in my posesion a very powerful tool: A complete bootable OS in a DVD compatible with all kind of partition that enables me to get to the files on the hard drive and edit them...

Wish you luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was able to find that file. Thanks. One thing not mentioned here is the error prompt. My vista machine displayed a prompt after it did the re-load.

Your system has detected a configuration error. Please report this error to Customer Care using the phone number found in the Warranty and Support Guide that came with your PC. Unless corrected, this error will prevent your PC from operating properly. Turn off your PC by pressing and holding the Power button. After a few seconds your PC will automatically turn off. (Code Purple)

Press {Shift-F10} at this prompt and the computer will display the command window.

I simply put a goto after it ran the compare job. In any case. Jumping around :mismatch is the key.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.