Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently tried to run regedit and the cmd box opens and just diassapears and nothing happens. Anything that uses the dos box thingy(im a comp. noob) donest work. I went to run, typed in cmd, and the same thing, the box pops up for one second and just diasppears. Ive run virus scanners and spware scanners, but nothing came up. This hard drive is barely a month old so I doubt its an infection. I had this problem once with my old hard drive, and one day it was just fixed. Im lost, please help me, any suggestions are more than appreciated.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don't know how to fix the CMD window closing... but: You can run any command from the 'run' dialog anyway, so the CMD window is not needed unless you are browsing around the drive.

open the 'run' dialog and enter regedit then 'OK'

·
Registered
72 Posts
killakrust said:
I don't know how to fix the CMD window closing... but: You can run any command from the 'run' dialog anyway, so the CMD window is not needed unless you are browsing around the drive.

open the 'run' dialog and enter regedit then 'OK'

What was the sence in posting this reply if you cannot help.

Trythis

You may be the victim of a virus or malware. First, run a complete =
antivirus check, after you've updated the antivirus definitions.
You should do checks for "malware".
See The Parasite Fight Quick Fix Protocol at =
<http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm>

Once you're sure it is clean, run System File Checker. Place your XP CD =
in the CDROM drive. =20
(If setup pops-up just close (exit) that window).
From XP menus, select "Command Prompt". (or from Run menu, type
CMD <enter>

in the command prompt window type
SFC /SCANNOW <enter>

That would get System File Checker running, and recheck your versions of =
Windows system files

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ok I ran virus scanners, cleaned up my comp, inserted my xp cd and did as you said. But about 1/6 of the way into the process i get this pop up. I hit cancel and the process continues for about 1 minute and the pop up comes again. I could keep hitting cancel until the top bar comeplety fills and its complete, but that doesnt seem right. Heres the pic:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That was a great link you gave me and I was very optimistic, but after trying all 6 or so solutions I was still unable to run sfc /scannow without getting the pop up. So any other stuff like that I just throw at me, Im willing to try whatever. Thanx

·
Registered
282 Posts
I was going to say to manually extract the cmd.exe to your c:\windows\system32 folder but you don't have the CD. I'm sure one of us can send it to you but it's an exe file and I don't know if you can trust us to give you that file.

If you decide to go this route then rename your old cmd.exe and download the cmd.exe from one of us and copy it to that directory.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Actually when I click cmd or regedit in the system 32 folder it works! But I would still like to fix the fact that I cant start either through run. Actually, it works when I type C:\WINDOWS\System32\CMD.exe in the run box, but for some reason it doesnt work when I just type cmd.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, I typed cmd in the run box and saw a messege in the box when it appears for a second, and I finally got a print screen of it. The messege in the box says:
"Cannot load VDM IPX/SPX Support"

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Variable------------------------------------Value-----------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Comspec-----------------------------------C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
FP_NO_HOST_CHECK------------------------No
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS-------------------1
OS-----------------------------------------Windows_NT
Path--------------------------------------- C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\ProgramFiles\Common Files\AdaptecShared\System;C:\ProgramFiles\PC-DoctorforWindows\services;C:\ProgramFiles\ATITechnologies\ATIControlPanel
PATHEXT-----------------------------------.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH
PROCESSOR ARCHITECTURE-----------------x86
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER--------------------x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7, GenuineIntel
PROCESSOR_LEVEL-------------------------15
PROCESSOR_REVISION----------------------0207
TEMP--------------------------------------C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
TMP---------------------------------------C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
windir--------------------------------------C:\WINDOWS

Ok....kinda sloppy but hope it will do. :grin: :4-dontkno

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Ok so Im constantly getting my friends to compare certain files of mine with thiers to try and find out why my cmd doesnt work. And in that process I realized:

One of my friends (whose DOS works) said that he only had one CMD file in his system 32 folder. I HAVE 3! And here they are:

Also when I take out the two that my friends didnt have (the one that appears hidden, and the other with the MSDOS logo)....I go to run and type in CMD, and it works!
The same with regedit. I have a regedit file that appears hidden that my friends dont have, and when I remove it and go to run-->regedit, it works!

Hope you get what I mean. Well now all I need to do is verify that its allright to take out and leave out those other files that noone else has.
So is that alright or do I need those other cmd and regedit files?

·
Registered
72 Posts
gunslinger2787 said:
Ok so Im constantly getting my friends to compare certain files of mine with thiers to try and find out why my cmd doesnt work. And in that process I realized:

One of my friends (whose DOS works) said that he only had one CMD file in his system 32 folder. I HAVE 3! And here they are:

Also when I take out the two that my friends didnt have (the one that appears hidden, and the other with the MSDOS logo)....I go to run and type in CMD, and it works!
The same with regedit. I have a regedit file that appears hidden that my friends dont have, and when I remove it and go to run-->regedit, it works!

Hope you get what I mean. Well now all I need to do is verify that its allright to take out and leave out those other files that noone else has.
So is that alright or do I need those other cmd and regedit files?

If you start messing and deleting system 32 files then you will mess up your system big time. there is a reason for duplicate files and DO NOT mess with them.

Use that link i posted last..

·
Registered
610 Posts
I only have ONE cmd icon, with show hidden files and protected OS files shown. I have the icon with the the picture of the cmd prompt with C:\ (which isnt hidden BTW). I cant advise as to if you should or should not delete the other ones, but my guess is the other ones could be some virus or malware. If it were me id just delete the two, but then again i have Go Back so id just revert my hard drive if i had problems.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you really want to delete files may i suggest backing up your reg and any files that you have saved on your pc.

If you want I can upload a cmd file that I have on disk to you, then you can delete all the cmd files you want and then just copy and paste the uploaded file to your system32 folder..

Are you on msn messenger.
If you r and u want some more help pm me your msn name.

Let me know if you want this cmd file and if you want to talk to me on messenger

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.