Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

i wasn't sure where to post this, so i posted it here because it seemed the most relevant place to put it.

So heres my story:
My hard drive is failing. what i mean by this is, sometimes when I boot my PC, it will click(I am 100% sure it is my hard disk clicking), but sometimes I am able to get it to boot(Im currently on it now). I have had several people tell me that from what i tell them it is on its way to the morgue.

I have ordered a new 500gb internal harddrive, but while its in the post, my current hard drive may just die permanently, so while it is working, I have decided to clone it.

So I obtained Acronis true image home 2011, and made a clone of my current harddrive onto an 80gb external harddrive, just temporarily, so if my current hard drive dies, I will still have all the data from it.

My questions are as follows:
1. Is it possible to boot from my external HDD if my current hard drive dies before the new HDD arrives? (just as a note my external hard drive is IDE, i dont have any IDE connectors in my PC, just SATA) If so, how would i go about doing this?

2.when my new HDD arrives, if my current HDD is dead, will the image on the external HDD be a good enough image that i will be able to clone the external HDD to the new internal HDD, and if ican willl the 3rd image boot properly?

P.S. I cant spend any more money at the moment on new components or software, so foptions that utilize what I already have will be greatly appreciated.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
1,835 Posts
Did you do a full drive clone or just a partition clone? With Win 7 especially, you need the full drive clone.

If the cloning doesn't work, you should be able to open the image and get your data out.

·
computer wizard
1,658 Posts
This is what you need to do/

Acronis has a feature to create a rescue boot CD/DVD/

(1) CREATE THIS IMAGE ONTO A DISC
(2)NOW FORMAT YOUR IDE EXTERNAL OR PARTITION IT/
(3)GO BACK NOW TO ACRONIS AND CREATE A PARTITION BACK UP/SAVE IT TO YOUR EXTERNAL
(4)INSTALL YOUR NEW HDD/INSERT YOUR ACRONIS RESCUE DISC,NOW REBOOT YOUR SYSTEM /WHEN IT LOADS THE RESCUE DISC/SEARCH NOW FOR YOUR BACK UP ON YOUR EXTERNAL/LET IT DO ITS JOB/FOLLOW THE PROMPTS/WHEN YOUR PC REBOOTS YOU WILL NOW HAVE YOUR OLD SYSTEM ON YOUR NEW HDD

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.