Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to clone (a one-off) an 80GB dive onto a new Maxtor 160GB.

I believe that some programs will clone to just part of the new drive and create a separate partition for the spare space. I would like to avoid this without using Partition Magic etc. I want just one partition on my new drive

I think Ghost will do it but will Max-Blast and True Image do it too?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Brian. I read the article but cannot see where it says that the new disk will contain a single partition which uses the whole of the new disk space.

Some programs will produce 2 partitions .. the first being a copy of the cloned data and the second partition being empty containing the rest of the available space. That is not what I want. Norton Ghost does what I want but I am only doing this once to replace an ailing HDD with a larger one.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Bruck:

xxclone does not do any partition or formattign work. You must set your drive up yourself with either the drive manufactures set-up utlity (best choice) or use windows disk managment. Then make the drive one big chunk and format it. Then xxclone will copy over all data from you little drive to your big drive. The you have have all the contents in the big drive and all the rest of the empty space will be there and present too ???

·
Manager, TSF Articles
38,365 Posts
Bruck:

xxclone does not do any partition or formattign work. You must set your drive up yourself with either the drive manufactures set-up utlity (best choice) or use windows disk managment. Then make the drive one big chunk and format it. Then xxclone will copy over all data from you little drive to your big drive. The you have have all the contents in the big drive and all the rest of the empty space will be there and present too ???
One thing you must remember to do is make the new drive bootable. Have a look at this article on how to clone a drive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I read the article and was surprised to note that the data had to be copied in a separate operation.

I then noticed that the article was about copying the OS from one drive to another rather than cloning one drive to another.

Cloning must be a different procedure to the one in the article.

·
Manager, TSF Articles
38,365 Posts
I read the article and was surprised to note that the data had to be copied in a separate operation.
I'm not sure what you mean by a separate operation unless you're referring to where I said save any data already on the destination drive. I only included the data copying bit in case you were using an existing drive that already had data on it that you didn't want to lose. If you are starting with a clean destination drive, you can ignore that bit. Once you've identified your source and destination drives, the copying is carried out in one operation.

I then noticed that the article was about copying the OS from one drive to another rather than cloning one drive to another.
That's what cloning is. It's an exact copy of all the data on your original drive including your OS.
When you clone a drive you have to copy the OS otherwise you can't boot from it. It's a very straightforward procedure.

Cloning must be a different procedure to the one in the article.
As I said above, that's what cloning is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the explanation.

I had got my Cs and my Ds crossed at that point!.

And I was defining cloning as more than just "copying the OS" but I understand where the confusion has arisen

Thank you again.

·
Manager, TSF Articles
38,365 Posts
I had got my Cs and my Ds crossed at that point!.
Easily done :grin:

And I was defining cloning as more than just "copying the OS"
Yes, it is. If you just copy files over the drive won't boot. XXClone copies everything, OS, program files and data and is an exact copy of your original drive, which is what I guess you want.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.