Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a little worried.

My hard drive is making a "clink" noise every so often. I am worried that this means an all to soon death when I least expect it. Has anyone else had this issue before?

It's and IBM 40 gig drive I bought less than a year ago.

·
hey
10,189 Posts
Usually a clinking noise means your hard drive is going bad. If it is under a year, you can bring it to the store you bought it and they should warrenty it, otherwise you can send it back to IBM. Most hard drives have a three year manufacture warrenty. I would back up everything just in case.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
BACKUP NOW! It's the "click of death" you're hearing! I just had one go, it clicked for about two boots, then it died. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am a dork!

Thank you all for the info, that's what I thought "The clink of death" so last night I did some backup and switched out the hard drive with an old one I had.

Half way through re-installing my OS, I hear "clink". "NO Way! Not two hard drives in a row!" I say to myself.

After some close listening, it turns out that it was an old clock I had sitting on my desk that was "clinking". I threw the clock into another room and everything sounded like it was supposed to. I even plugged my old drive back in.

Now I am sure that this forum will help someone in the future, when they hear there hard drive making noise. Just make sure you check your clock first. I am such a dork! Good thing I didnt start bashing IBM.

·
Administrator, Automotive Team Manager
5,284 Posts
JediG33K, don't be so hard on yourself! I would have done the same thing if my machine had started doing the "clink" at me. My house settles and I get those noises near my computer and yes, I do give it a look that just says " are you gonna quit" until I realize what it actually was. Glad to hear it WASN'T your drive!

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
hehe...cool story...but, I have a HD in one my "beater" machines that makes "clink" noise all the time...and its still alive...and its been doing it for a pretty long time, I would say for about a year and a half now...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.