Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a student from India (and a complete newbie to this), I can't afford to pay the price data recovery firms have quoted for 'data retrieval' from my failed hard drive.

I have around 20 GB of the 120 GB backed up. I wish I had backed up the rest on DVD, laziness doesnt always pay I guess :(

I'd be grateful if you could offer me an insight into what the problem is, and offer a possible next step or solution, and give me an estimate of what it SHOULD cost to fix the disk (i've got different arbitrary quotes from different shops
, ranging from Rs 3000 to Rs 7000!)

The model details are as follows :
WD Scorpio 2.5 inch 120 GB HDD
WD1200BEAE-T1UWT0
Drive Parameters - LBA 234441648
DCM - HAYTJANB

I purchased a Western Digital 2.5 inch 120 GB hard disk in June 2007. It developed problems in February 2008, and 8 months is a very short period for an HDD to fail! When I connect it to a computer (via a USB casing), it starts spinning, then clicks twice, then starts spinning again. This repeats thrice after which disks stop spinning and there is absolutely no
sound from the hard disk.

This is what it sounds like (please turn the volume up, my mic sucks! please ignore the constant

background noise - a buzz, the hard disk noise volume is way lower than buzz volume, but distingushable)

- http://download.yousendit.com/03FA6EA80F0211AC
The data recovery people connected it to a motherboard directly and checked the disk. They said that it was a 'media' failure, a mechanical problem. They said that they'll have to open the disk up and gave me an unaffordable quote.

The hard disk carried a warranty of 1 year, so it is still under warranty, but the issue is that if the data recovery people open the Hard Disk, it will render the warranty void.
Do Hard Disk manufacturers recover data too? If I give my HDD back to WD for repair, is there any possibility that they'll repair the hard disk without affecting the data? (by means of a head change or something, from what it sounds like to me, it seems like a head/spindle failure). Do all repairs by manufacturers result in data loss?

Should I try freezing the hard disk? Does the hard disk get permanently damaged after freezing? Should I try dropping it from a height? I've read in certain places that these are last resorts. However, since I can't afford a professional data recovery agency, I might as well try the freezing/dropping methods before giving it to WD for repair/replacement (incase there is NO hope of WD repairing the hard disk without data loss)

·
Registered
23,001 Posts
Welcome to TSF. :wave:

Use an adapter and mount the drive inside a desktop PC.
Then run Data Lifeguard Diagnostic Tools.

Some data recovery programs:
GetDataBack
Recuva
Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier

The HDD manufacturer will not recover your files. The warranty is for the drive, not the data.

Drop the drive from a height? No, no and no. That's a sure way to kill the drive.

If you try freezing the drive - put it in a zip bag first, then 3-4 hours in the freezer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The data recovery guys already plugged it into a desktop by using an adatpter... they said its a physical failure :(

Will freezing permanently damage the drive? I might be able to gather enough money for DR in a year, should I wait for a year before trying this out?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.