Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Sometimes I like to leave my laptop lid closed to listen to music on my laptop. I make sure that closing the lid does nothing for this to work.

I have a HDD, and for some reason whenever I do this I frequently hear more clicking than usual while the lid is closed but the music is still playing. I set my HDD to never sleep on power options.

Is this normal? Might this just be the hard drive responding to inactivity and it makes noise for some reason?

·
Global Moderator
Knowing how to use Google to solve problems
42,572 Posts
A clicking HDD is a sign that the HDD is about to fail. Backup any files you want to keep to an external HDD and replace it ASAP.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

Sometimes I like to leave my laptop lid closed to listen to music on my laptop. I make sure that closing the lid does nothing for this to work.

I have a HDD, and for some reason whenever I do this I frequently hear more clicking than usual while the lid is closed but the music is still playing. I set my HDD to never sleep on power options.

Is this normal? Might this just be the hard drive responding to inactivity and it makes noise for some reason?
A year ago I had such a knocking as you describe in the Samsung 1TB dusk, after a month of knocking (it's good that I downloaded the data :)) the disc fell on amen :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
The extra noise you hear is probably there with the laptop screen 'open'. But when you close the screen, that noise doesn't dissipate the same way. The closed screen can reflect the sound of a NORMAL OPERATING HDD so that more of the sound exits the laptop making it SEEM louder with the screen closed, but the total amount of sound coming from the laptop may be the same with the screen open or closed... it just SOUNDS different with the screen closed. The "clicking" you say you are hearing... if this is just the gentle sound of the read-head positioning motor(s) (more of a woosh, soft rattle sort of sound, always audible, but you may have to get your ear close to the laptop to hear the sound... you have no problem. If there is a distinct audible click sound... there's no reason it would be more audible with the screen open or closed. Usually, the death-click will be variable numbers of clicks depending on how many times the heads have to move to gather what the computer is looking for. That tends to mean the click patterns won't be "repeatable". The clicking death-sound is far more audible than the sound of normal operation. Normal operation is still audible and might be a bit louder with the screen closed and you just never noticed it before. But normal operation of a 2.5-inch laptop HDD is quiet... not inaudible, but pretty low level and the "clicks" it makes when moving to new positions is audible but very quiet. The death-click is much easier to hear and will be present with the screen open or closed, though it may sound a little different each way.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The extra noise you hear is probably there with the laptop screen 'open'. But when you close the screen, that noise doesn't dissipate the same way. The closed screen can reflect the sound of a NORMAL OPERATING HDD so that more of the sound exits the laptop making it SEEM louder with the screen closed, but the total amount of sound coming from the laptop may be the same with the screen open or closed... it just SOUNDS different with the screen closed. The "clicking" you say you are hearing... if this is just the gentle sound of the read-head positioning motor(s) (more of a woosh, soft rattle sort of sound, always audible, but you may have to get your ear close to the laptop to hear the sound... you have no problem. If there is a distinct audible click sound... there's no reason it would be more audible with the screen open or closed. Usually, the death-click will be variable numbers of clicks depending on how many times the heads have to move to gather what the computer is looking for. That tends to mean the click patterns won't be "repeatable". The clicking death-sound is far more audible than the sound of normal operation. Normal operation is still audible and might be a bit louder with the screen closed and you just never noticed it before. But normal operation of a 2.5-inch laptop HDD is quiet... not inaudible, but pretty low level and the "clicks" it makes when moving to new positions is audible but very quiet. The death-click is much easier to hear and will be present with the screen open or closed, though it may sound a little different each way.
Time to save important stuff and buy a new ssd. and reinstall window on the new disc or if you have a clone program clone it while you still can

·
Global Moderator
51,622 Posts
You might check the SMART data on the disk to see if it's having issues, but I'd for sure get a backup ready since it appears you may be hearing the Death Rattle of that disk! For laptops, I favor SSD disks as they don't mind bumps and bangs of handling.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts