Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Need some help please, I want to install win xp from a bootable CD to a harddrive that has win 98. My question is do I have to completely wipe out the HD that has win 98 and start from scratch or can I just install win xp with the win98 OS still on the HD and if so, how do I go about doing so.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Hello,
Need some help please, I want to install win xp from a bootable CD to a harddrive that has win 98. My question is do I have to completely wipe out the HD that has win 98 and start from scratch or can I just install win xp with the win98 OS still on the HD and if so, how do I go about doing so.
First .........you can do an upgrade of win98
Second..... you can have to OS ... i.e. win98 and win xp
Third you.. can formar c: drive and install only winxp

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Cday pretty much summed it up. Your best route is a clean install - none of the old problems get carried over to the new installation. Having both installed is usefull if you have software that barfs at XP. If you decide to have both then you need to have another partition on which to install XP. It *can* be installed to the same partition but is inviting trouble if done this way.

The "upgrade" path is the least desirable.

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
I upgraded from Win98 a while back on 2 systems and found that Norton and some virus had left remnants on that make the new XP install unstable and I needed to later go through the hassle of backing up, moving over reinstalling and then copying back all my data and d/l new software just by choosing that option..

Installation of XP is easy enough. I would agree with kev1952 here to wipe clean your HDD and install XP for a more stable system.

I personally use KillDisk to wipe my drive clean first, as it does a very efficient job of it too, and then install XP on it.

A good guide for installation here: XP Clean Install

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
A clean install is best. You can even do this with an XP upgrade CD. Before I do this I always use the manufacturer's diagnostic program to check the hard drive for errors first, and to write zeroes to the drive. If no errors, reinstall.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.