Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if I am repeating. In that case, be so kind to just redirect me. Thanks for your usual understanding.
I own a very good custom desk PC (Intel Pentium Dual 2200; 2GRAM, 250 G hardisk). I had XPProPack3 and several severe troubles had recently spoiled its nice using. Repairing was a complete failure. I have a 'two' partition. I have installed every program that could be possible in B, plus all the other personal files. C has the system and the usual unavoidable installed other programs. I have decided to buy a brand new 7 Premium and 'clean' installing it. As, at the very beginning of my PC, the mother board had to be replaced. I think the drivers CD I keep belongs to this late. Well, for shortening this enquiry (as it's possible in real life), my concerns are: first, to get a crystal clear tutorial with the 'specificities' Windows 7 might have; second, to ask if, in the case I wouldn't have or find 'the' drivers CD, is it possible (or easy) to get them on line? Please, sorry. I am a simple amateur old computation fan (74 years old; brain still in good conditions, still working as succesful clinician and expert witness). Sorry again. Many thanks and kind regards.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most thankfull, Old Rich. Then, the procedure is just install? The Link you advice me is for 'after' installation? Is it possible to know what mother board one has without opening the unit?

Many thanks
You can Download and run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to see what is not compatible.

Windows 7 will have most of the drivers for your motherboard, the rezt can be downloaded from the manufacturers support site

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
As mentioned, the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor will give you a full run down of what can and cannot work with Windows 7. I'm sure there are some things you can and can't do without, so look over the information wisely. Some software you can run in compatibility mode (or Windows XP Mode), others you can just update now or in the future. Some hardware may be too old to have a Vista/7 driver available, so be careful of that. You can always check the manufacturer website to be sure however.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Most thankfull, Old Rich. Then, the procedure is just install? The Link you advice me is for 'after' installation? Is it possible to know what mother board one has without opening the unit?

Many thanks
No, run it before hand. Like.... now.

You can also run a simple enough program called Speccy to find out the details of your motherboard, among a lot of other things.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry for my stupidity Jay, but about what issues are you talking about "compatibillity"? I am in the plan to just install Windows 7 after a straight formatting a relatively new PC. Please, sorry for my unfamiliarity with this situation. Many thanks and friendly greetings
As mentioned, the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor will give you a full run down of what can and cannot work with Windows 7. I'm sure there are some things you can and can't do without, so look over the information wisely. Some software you can run in compatibility mode (or Windows XP Mode), others you can just update now or in the future. Some hardware may be too old to have a Vista/7 driver available, so be careful of that. You can always check the manufacturer website to be sure however.

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
To keep it simple. Boot to win7/custom installation/advanced options/format drive/when installed/right click computer/click properties/click device manager and see what you need drivers for.

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
54,255 Posts
Sorry for my stupidity Jay, but about what issues are you talking about "compatibillity"? I am in the plan to just install Windows 7 after a straight formatting a relatively new PC. Please, sorry for my unfamiliarity with this situation. Many thanks and friendly greetings
The compatiobility tool will tell you if any hardware or software is not compatible with windows 7 . . something nice to know before you install it

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's an answer. Short, extremely clear.Many thanks.

To keep it simple. Boot to win7/custom installation/advanced options/format drive/when installed/right click computer/click properties/click device manager and see what you need drivers for.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
The compatiobility tool will tell you if any hardware or software is not compatible with windows 7 . . something nice to know before you install it
Without a working Windows 7 driver for your hardware, you can plug the hardware in if you want, but it just won't work. Note: You may be able to get away with a Vista driver instead.
As for your programs, you might expect a program or more to not work anymore.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Understood. Many thnaks

Without a working Windows 7 driver for your hardware, you can plug the hardware in if you want, but it just won't work. Note: You may be able to get away with a Vista driver instead.
As for your programs, you might expect a program or more to not work anymore.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When formatting, what happens with motherboard drivers? And what's the utility of the CD that came with the PC about which some guys make so much noise? Many thanks and cheers.

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
54,255 Posts
When you format everything is gone . . includeing drivers. The drivers cd will usually only have drivers for the operating system that the pc came with.

Did you run the Upgrade Advisor?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I am very obedient with answers I look for. Some applications are incompatible; other ones, not. With respect to the PC, obviously it's capable to receive Windows 7. In relation with your kind last answer, I have to understand that Windows 7 will take the task to install the 'radical' drivers. I downloaded from ECS web page, every Windows 7 driver I found, starting from the motherboard chip set. I have not finnished to understand what's going on with the motheboard at a clean installing of a new OS. I had the idea that before installing and formattinf one had to make some arrangements in the motherboard. (every guy says: Did you keep the PC CD ?as it was the philosophic stone) Many thanks

When you format everything is gone . . includeing drivers. The drivers cd will usually only have drivers for the operating system that the pc came with.

Did you run the Upgrade Advisor?

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
54,255 Posts
Not before installing . . you install the drivers after the Operating System installation. It;s just handy to have them available ahead of time. I never use the original driver cd, prefering instead to dwonload the newest ones.

Instllaing old drivers after a reinstall is like taking a shower and putting your dirty underwear back on

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fine! Useful and humourous answer. Thanks again.

Not before installing . . you install the drivers after the Operating System installation. It;s just handy to have them available ahead of time. I never use the original driver cd, prefering instead to dwonload the newest ones.

Instllaing old drivers after a reinstall is like taking a shower and putting your dirty underwear back on

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The very first movement I will do. It seems that I have to take my time, for 'priorities' at home; but Windows 7 premium has downloaded its price incredibly ($165.oo in the best store). Wouldn't be enough for me just Home Basic?. A well known friend and most acquainted with me, say 'no')

Let us know how it goes . .

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
54,255 Posts
Basic is very basic . . You would probalby be upgradeing soon after installing it. You should be able to get trhe Home Premium Upgrade version for around $90

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I will get premium, defintively. Thanks.

Basic is very basic . . You would probalby be upgradeing soon after installing it. You should be able to get trhe Home Premium Upgrade version for around $90

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.