Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given the above laptop and, although the majority of the stuff was cleaned off, there is still a ton of stuff on there (their old contact management program, internet connects, yahoo toolbars, etc., etc.) that I would like to get cleaned off. There is only about 450 mg of free space so something is taking up the room.

I've heard that I should just re-install the OS (windows2000) or better yet, do a clean install of XP.

Is there anything else I would need to do so I don't lose any of the settings? I know a bit more about reformatting desktops, but nothing about laptops and I don't want to lose any graphic/sound card/mouse etc., settings....will I lose this stuff with a clean install? There isn't any floppy drive to make a startup disk (is this even required) and it only has a DVD/CD.

Any advise is much appreciated, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
Go into the device manager and copy down the graphics card, network card and maybe sound card info. Now go to www.dell.com and make sure they have drivers for the operating system you are going to load. The lack of floppy drive should not be a problem if you have access to a machine with a cd or dvd burner. That way if you need to load any drivers, you can burn them to cd and load them that way.

When I loaded my dell laptop with XP, most drivers were loaded with the Windows install.

·
Registered
72 Posts
JoWill said:
I was given the above laptop and, although the majority of the stuff was cleaned off, there is still a ton of stuff on there (their old contact management program, internet connects, yahoo toolbars, etc., etc.) that I would like to get cleaned off. There is only about 450 mg of free space so something is taking up the room.

I've heard that I should just re-install the OS (windows2000) or better yet, do a clean install of XP.

Is there anything else I would need to do so I don't lose any of the settings? I know a bit more about reformatting desktops, but nothing about laptops and I don't want to lose any graphic/sound card/mouse etc., settings....will I lose this stuff with a clean install? There isn't any floppy drive to make a startup disk (is this even required) and it only has a DVD/CD.

Any advise is much appreciated, thanks in advance.
You will find all you need here regarding drivers and stuff. Just download all you need to disk and then do your format reinstall of your os
Note::: From your post I have seen that you are form Canada. The link below is for the dell canada downloads only

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/devices.aspx?c=ca&cs=CADHS1&l=en&s=dhs&SystemID=INS_PNT_CEL_4000&os=WNT5&osl=EN

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, I'm nearly there. I was able to do a clean install and get it working again. However, the DVD gives a message that the "decoder" is missing?? and the thing won't run on the battery.

Now what do I do? The DVD/CD does go, it plays music CD's, but not DVD's. And, I can live without the battery but it sure would be nice to have.

I did get a driver for the DVD, but I'll be darned if I know what to do with it. I've extracted it and that's about it.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
54 Posts
You need a dvd decoder. With Dells this is usually Cyberlink PowerDVD. Do you have the software that came with the computer? It could also be WinDVD. There's also a few free dvd decoder/player programs out there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.