21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·

·
Premium Member
41,899 Posts
When Check Disk with the /R switch is run, it searches the whole disk sector by sector, if it finds a bad one, it will try to Move the data off of that sector to a near by one. Then it marks the sector as Bad so Windows will not put any data on it. this is considered "Fixing" the disk. There are only so many available spare good sectors. So, if there are a lot of Bad Sectors, then Check Disk cannot "Fix" the drive. This procedure is the same with the WD Long Test, Minitool, or Disk Genius, in my signature. If there are more then a couple of Bad Sectors, there is no reason to continue "Fixing" the drive, it should be replaced.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,219 Posts
A hard drive is mechanical, with constantly spinning platters and reciprocating heads, all of which ride on bearings. All of this movement causes wear. And when that wear becomes great enough, the drive can simply no longer do what it was designed to do. In other words, it's worn out and needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
A hard drive is mechanical, with constantly spinning platters and reciprocating heads, all of which ride on bearings. All of this movement causes wear. And when that wear becomes great enough, the drive can simply no longer do what it was designed to do. In other words, it's worn out and needs to be replaced.
I've only had the drive for a year and a half so that's why I'm bewildered that it's already failing, I've had an old laptop that has still been working for 8+ years with only 500GB. SATA cord will have nothing to do with drive errors?

·
8,219 Posts

·
Premium Member
41,899 Posts
Formatting, wiping etc will not replace Bad Sectors.
You didn't say what the brand of drive is, but you mentioned WD. If that is the drive manufacturer, you can check your warranty here Warranty Services It should still be under warranty. HDD's are under warranty for 2 or 3 years. You can ship it back to the factory and they will mail you a refurbished replacement drive for free. If the drive is not WD, then you can Google the manufacturers name plus Check Warranty. Be aware that Refurbished drives have a higher failure rate then Brand New drives.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Formatting, wiping etc will not replace Bad Sectors.
You didn't say what the brand of drive is, but you mentioned WD. If that is the drive manufacturer, you can check your warranty here Warranty Services It should still be under warranty. HDD's are under warranty for 2 or 3 years. You can ship it back to the factory and they will mail you a refurbished replacement drive for free. If the drive is not WD, then you can Google the manufacturers name plus Check Warranty. Be aware that Refurbished drives have a higher failure rate then Brand New drives.
This is the exact HDD:
MQ04ABF100 Toshiba 1TB/1000GB 5400rpm Sata 7mm 2.5" Hard Drive 128mb, 6 Gbit/s.: Amazon.ca: Electronics

·
8,219 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·

·
Premium Member
41,899 Posts
We suggest removing the HDD from the computer and taking a picture of the label. Attach that picture to any Email communication with Toshiba.

·
8,219 Posts
It may well be that the deal between Toshiba and the laptop manufacturer states that the laptop manufacturer is responsible for any warranty claims. To find out, contact the laptop manufacturer's Tech Support.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
IMHO: BSOD you are having is related to heat.........blow out all vents on/in your computer!!
I checked temperatures of my HDD, sits around 37 degrees Celsius, I don't believe it is related to heat. As long as the pin hole is not covered it should be fine.
The BSOD happens at random times, sometimes when I wake it from sleep. Right now it's fine.

·
Premium Member
41,899 Posts
BSOD's can also be related to a failing HDD. If you download and run the Free Disk Genius app in my signature, highlight your drive, go up to the toolbar to Disk then View Repair Bad Sectors. You will know the health of the drive. If there are more then a couple of Bad Sectors, the drive needs to be replaced ASAP before it fails all together and never start again.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts