Tech Support banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

If I do a clean install where I delete all partitions on my drive and install windows 10 on a new partition, it should resolve all software related issues right?
So essentially what I'm asking if it's redundant to do commands like:
sfc scan
DISM
chkdsk
fixmbr

And any other commands to fix a drive are basically done by a clean install correct?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It fixes all Windows problems.
It looks like I have a hard drive issue despite doing extensive health tests on CPU, RAM, and hard drive health is all fine but I frequently have my laptop freeze for a full minute, then I get BSOD with 0% progress, where it then restarts and gives me a "No bootable device" icon. The only way to get it to restart again is force shutting it down and turning it on.

I checked the hard drive itself, plugged in and secured properly.

Upon clean installing my laptop I got the BSOD again while updating windows, the crash dump is not created and it seems to corrupt my HDD every time this crash happens as I get a prompt from windows to repair drives.

I've only had this laptop for a year and a half, and it's hard drive seems to be faulty because I had stuttering issues the first day I used it despite not showing any errors in health checks.

Before I had these BSODs, I did a chkdsk c:/r and it repaired successfully but I still had problems so I did a clean install and the BSOD still shows up.

Is it worth trying chkdsk c:/r again or is it clear I need a new hard drive despite no signs of health errors?

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,962 Posts
The maker of your HD has a better tool to check its condition.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The maker of your HD has a better tool to check its condition.
I don't think the MQ04ABF100 Toshiba has any specific software for testing that I can find.
I think it is very likely to be hardware issues, you are sure chkdsk c:/r will make no difference if I already did a clean install?

·
28,962 Posts
Yours should be a WD. This was before Toshiba bought them.

·
28,962 Posts
Reactions: ShangWang

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Scroll to the correct tool.
If it does find bad sectors, does this mean the drive was just corrupted and a clean install will fix it or does it mean the hard drive itself is actually failing?
Even if I don't find bad sectors I get the BSOD no bootable device thing anyway.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,232 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Step 1) Test the hardware. Why? Because software cannot fix failing/failed hardware.

If the hardware passes, then

Step 2) Try software to fix corrupt files, etc.
I've tested for hardware before the clean install, it is perfectly healthy but I still get BSOD which is why I have a strange situation with damaged hardware.

·
28,962 Posts
Did you run the test? Any clicking sound coming from your computer?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did you run the test? Any clicking sound coming from your computer?
The occasional slight click every few hours, but there's no beating around the bush I have a hard drive problem if I still get BSOD for no reason.

·
28,962 Posts
If you are experienced, I'd suggest trying the HD in another computer as a determining solution, HD or software. Otherwise, read the posting instructions at this forum BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs When you post reference this thread also.

·
Premium Member
41,909 Posts
The occasional slight click every few hours
Any sound other then the normal hum of activity coming from a HDD means it is beginning to fail. As stated, remove the HDD from the computer, insert it as a secondary drive on a desktop, or via a USB Adapter with a power adapter to a different computer. If you use a USB Adapter, once powered on, before inserting the USB, put your ear next to the drive, is there a clicking, or scraping noise? Or is it spinning up and then spinning down? Any of these scenarios would mean it is failing. If it spins up and stays up, plug in the USB to a different computer. Download Disk Genius in my signature. Select your drive, and go to the toolbar to Disk/View SMART Information. This will give you a overall snapshot of the health of the drive. If there is a yellow caution button, then go to View or Repair Bad Sectors/Verify Now. This will take some time. If any squares are Amber or RED, the drive needs to be replaced. We strongly suggest replacing with an SSD drive instead of a HDD.
If the drive is Healthy, then there may be an issue with the RAM.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Any sound other then the normal hum of activity coming from a HDD means it is beginning to fail. As stated, remove the HDD from the computer, insert it as a secondary drive on a desktop, or via a USB Adapter with a power adapter to a different computer. If you use a USB Adapter, once powered on, before inserting the USB, put your ear next to the drive, is there a clicking, or scraping noise? Or is it spinning up and then spinning down? Any of these scenarios would mean it is failing. If it spins up and stays up, plug in the USB to a different computer. Download Disk Genius in my signature. Select your drive, and go to the toolbar to Disk/View SMART Information. This will give you a overall snapshot of the health of the drive. If there is a yellow caution button, then go to View or Repair Bad Sectors/Verify Now. This will take some time. If any squares are Amber or RED, the drive needs to be replaced. We strongly suggest replacing with an SSD drive instead of a HDD.
The HDD clicks infrequently, but the drive is entirely healthy as shown in tests. RAM is perfectly healthy as I ran a full test with memtest86 too.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I currently have drive errors due to the unsuccessful crash dump from BSOD and "no bootable device"
To temporarily fix errors, should I do chkdsk c:/r or can I also use WD, the third party minitool partition app which repairs the disk for me on restart?

·
Premium Member
41,909 Posts
If you use Disk Genius, as previously stated. you will get a visual GUI of the sectors that are good or bad and the overall health of the drive. Using the WD tool is good, but just shows you a Pass or Fail. Check Disk gives you a report, but you have to look for it in the Event Viewer. You can try to "Repair" Bad Sectors in Disk Genius, but If you feel the drive has errors, then there is no reason to test it, just replace it. We suggest an SSD drive. Prices have come down and are close to equal the price of a Mechanical drive.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you use Disk Genius, as previously stated. you will get a visual GUI of the sectors that are good or bad and the overall health of the drive. Using the WD tool is good, but just shows you a Pass or Fail. Check Disk gives you a report, but you have to look for it in the Event Viewer. You can try to "Repair" Bad Sectors in Disk Genius, but If you feel the drive has errors, then there is no reason to test it, just replace it. We suggest an SSD drive. Prices have come down and are close to equal the price of a Mechanical drive.
Thank you again.
Also do you know if a clean install as in deleting all partitions will clear bad/slow sectors the same way chkdsk c:/r does?

I'd like to use this HDD a bit longer as I cannot replace it right now and I don't mind wiping my hard drive again to have windows clean installed with the least problems possible

What I'm asking is would it be better to save time and do a clean install or try doing chkdsk c:/r to temporarily fix problems?

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,232 Posts
Also do you know if a clean install as in deleting all partitions will clear bad/slow sectors the same way chkdsk c:/r does?
CHKDSK does not "clear bad/slow sectors". It verifies the file system integrity of a volume and attempts to fix logical file system errors.

Chkdsk’s basic function is to scan the integrity of the file system and file system metadata on a disk volume and fix any logical file system errors that it finds. Such errors might include corrupt entries in a volume’s master file table (MFT), bad security descriptors associated with files, or even misaligned time stamp or file size information about individual files.

Chkdsk can also optionally scan every sector on a disk volume looking for bad sectors. Bad sectors come in two forms: soft bad sectors, that can occur when data is written badly, and hard bad sectors that can occur because of physical damage to the disk. Chkdsk attempts to fix these problems by repairing soft bad sectors, and marking hard bad sectors so they won’t be used again.
Source: How to Fix Hard Drive Problems with Chkdsk in Windows 7, 8, and 10

1 - 20 of 45 Posts