Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '88 Toyota Camry. I just got new tires, got the brakes fixed, and the rotor on the front passenger side replaced that was causing the car to veer sideways (to the right-passenger side). It had also been making a clanking noise in the same area (front right-passenger side). I thought with the new tires, brakes and rotor done, this clanking noise would stop, but it didn't :4-dontkno . It happens when I press my brakes (unless I press them very slowly), or if I'm going over a bump. The mechanic told me it was the "control arm bushing." Since my car is so old :sad: , the dealer does not have whatever is needed, to fix this, we have to pre-order ($150.00 - not counting $100 for labor :sad: ). I just want to know whether this "control arm bushing" sounds like it is the problem and whether replacing or fixing this will stop that noise. Any other suggestions/comments are welcome.

·
Administrator, Automotive Team Manager
5,291 Posts
Just checked that part on NAPA's site...they want $184 for it! Get a second opinion on that as well...and have them check the inner socket on your rack and pinion...they will give that "clunky clunky" too.

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
Don't forget the shocks! I had a nasty noise coming out of my 1986 Jag XJ-6, and it turned out to be the shocks. They looked several times before they figured it out, but it's nice and quiet now. :smile:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Clanking or clunking noises can be caused from control arm bushings, ball joint, sway-bar link, strut mount, or a broken/cracked spring.
When it makes this noise while braking, that tells me that the control arm bushing may be shot since it will "shift" when stopping power is applied to that wheel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.