Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Problem description: I just upgraded my video card to a Gigabyte Geforce GTX 660 from a much older card. After doing so, my video playback (whether it's in VLC or YouTube)is intermittently choppy/low FPS at times (for roughly 3-5 seconds, then back to normal). This usually occurs when I load something from a web browser or when I do some other task on my PC; sometimes it does it when I am just watching a video and nothing else. This is did not happen with my older card, which is why it is a bit baffling to me. Gaming is fine, as far as I know.

Attempted fixes: Updated my graphics card, installed essential windows 7 codecs pack, and checked to see if power is connected to the card. Google has nothing on the subject from my searches.

Recent changes: None, besides changing the video card.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

System specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2300 @ 2.80GHz, Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM: 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 535MHz (7-7-7-20)
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8Z68 DELUXE (LGA1155)
Monitors: Gatewat FHX2402L ([email protected]) (Primary), older Samsung SyncMaster ([email protected])
Video Card: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 (Gigabyte)
Storage:
232GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB ATA Device (SSD)
698GB Hitachi HTS547575A9E384 ATA Device (SSD)
223GB SSD2SC240GE2DA16B-T ATA Device (SSD)

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Brand & Model Number of the PSU?
Model of the old GPU?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Current PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Newegg.ca

Old video card: GeForce GTS 250

I also have a few other symptoms: Whenever I reboot my machine or turn it on, my monitor shuts off and turns on a few times before loading windows, and sometimes the motherboard logo screen also loads a few times as well. It's quite weird.

Also, sometimes things in Windows look choppy like when I move windows around at times.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
450W, with a good quality PSU, is the minimum requirement for a GTX660 and you always want some headroom over the minimum suggested power.
450W minimum for the GTX250.
Corsair are not a brand we recommend.
The other symptoms could also relate to the GPU being starved for clean sufficient power. Did the other problems also occur using the GTS250?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
450W, with a good quality PSU, is the minimum requirement for a GTX660 and you always want some headroom over the minimum suggested power.
450W minimum for the GTX250.
Corsair are not a brand we recommend.
The other symptoms could also relate to the GPU being starved for clean sufficient power. Did the other problems also occur using the GTS250?
OK that would make sense!

The issue of the monitor turning off and back on occurred with the 250, but there was no choppy video playback using it.

What PSU (reasonably priced) do you recommend?

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
The issue of the monitor turning off and back on occurred with the 250, but there was no choppy video playback using it.

What PSU (reasonably priced) do you recommend?
Try another monitor or try your monitor on another PC.

SeaSonic-XFX-Antec HCG are top quality PSU's.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
You're welcome and we will await your results.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Most of Corsair PSU's are now supplied to them from lower quality manufacture's.
The "CS" Series are made by CWT.
However, you can use any brand(s) you wish and heed advice from any source but TSF Team Members only recommend what we know to be top quality components. :smile:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Most of Corsair PSU's are now supplied to them from lower quality manufacture's.
The "CS" Series are made by CWT.
However, you can use any brand(s) you wish and heed advice from any source but TSF Team Members only recommend what we know to be top quality components. :smile:
I found out what most likely is the culprit: Firefox. For some reason, the choppiness happens when I have it loaded. Chrome does not cause this whatsoever.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Hopefully that is the only issue. Post back if you discover any other problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.