Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hello all, I'm new here so go easy on me =p

I've been having a really strange problem for a few months now. I built my PC back in November but it wasn't noticeable until over a month later (convenient, eh?). Anyway, I get periodic choppyness in games, not a delay or lag, but screen looks as though I have 10 fps, very choppy. But here's the catch, my fps doesn't drop at all, and it's ONLY noticeable when I'm moving the mouse (moving with keyboard left/right/back/forth is fine). Sometimes it's not noticeable at first, then it will start either a few seconds or a few minutes later. Other times it's noticeable as soon as game starts then goes away and comes back. I've gone for as long as 10 minutes without it happening which led me to think the problem was gone. I play mostly quake3 but it's noticeable in other games too. I'm VERY experienced with PCs so I've tried EVERYTHING... I've switched USB ports, I've tried PS/[email protected], I changed USB [email protected],500,1000, I formatted/reinstalled windows, did all windows updates. I installed windows on a different HD and tried game on a bare windows with only vid driver installed. I tried 4 different mice. Tried different keyboards. I bought a USB 2.0 card. I changed vid drivers, sound drivers, mobo drivers. I flashed BIOS. I changed vid card, sound card. I changed RAM. I went through 3 motherboards, from different companies/models. I tried changing settings in windows, disabling DirectX acceleration, disabling services, disabling windows themes/animation and all that stuff, closing all processes that aren't needed. It's hard to think of everything, I've probably left half of it out, but I've really done it all. The only thing I haven't done is change the CPU and that's because it's over a month since I bought it, and newegg won't replace it. Is it possible that it could be the CPU? The computer runs fine otherwise. I mean in benchmarks and timedemos it performs exactly how it should. what else could be a possible cause? Any ideas? I appreciate any response.

Specs:
Gigabyte GA-965P-S3
Intel Core2Duo E6400
G-SKILL 2gb DDR2-800 (pc2-6400) 5-5-5-15
NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT
Creative X-Fi Platinum
Logitech MX518
Seagate 250gb SATA hd
NEC MD3520A DVD-RW

·
TSF Team Emeritus
3,450 Posts
Hi marcus, welcome to TSF!

You seem pretty determined to fix this so i'll see what i can do.
After reading though all the things you have tried, my brain fried (it doesn't work so well this time in the morning anyway), so forgive me if you have tried anything i suggest.

What precisely is happening? Do you see the cursor 'flickering' whilst in-game or is it just sluggish when you move the mouse?

Updating the Logitech Setpoint drivers? Have you tried that at all?
Also, what Graphics drivers are you currently running?

You've probably done them already, but have a run through the 'Common Game Issues' link in my signature.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi marcus, welcome to TSF!

You seem pretty determined to fix this so i'll see what i can do.
After reading though all the things you have tried, my brain fried (it doesn't work so well this time in the morning anyway), so forgive me if you have tried anything i suggest.

What precisely is happening? Do you see the cursor 'flickering' whilst in-game or is it just sluggish when you move the mouse?

Updating the Logitech Setpoint drivers? Have you tried that at all?
Also, what Graphics drivers are you currently running?

You've probably done them already, but have a run through the 'Common Game Issues' link in my signature.
thanks for the quick reply and warm welcome. I don't see flickering or sluggish delay, but picture the game running at a very low framerate ONLY when you move mouse. it's "choppyness". that's the best way I can describe it. it's noticeable in fps games so there is no cursor, the whole screen is choppy. I've tried logitech setpoint drivers/windows/ms drivers. did all the stuff in 'the common game issues' times 100 lol :smile:

·
TSF Team Emeritus
3,450 Posts
Which FPS games is it happening in and what settings are you running them at?
I get a similar problem when i enter a new area in Oblivion, but it only happens for a few seconds while the cell loads, then it smoothes out.
Just trying to pin-point what the problem could be...

dunno, i don't think it's psu, like i said everything else is pretty much fine... why would psu cause mouse choppy? :/
I agree that the PSU shouldn't be affecting the gameplay when the mouse is moved but i also agree that it isn't doing your computer any good, as the link pharoah showed you states, a bad quality PSU can damage your components.
It might not be today, or tomorrow but there is a very good chance of it happening.
You wouldn't want a nice system like that to get fried :grin: .

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
ok, i read some of that psu article and checked the psu calculator. total watts shown for my system was well under the psu i have. as for amperage. i have dual +12v rails at 20a, +5v at 54a and +3.3v at 30a. there's also a turbo switch on my psu, i tried turning that on but it didn't make a difference. just made the fans noisy...

i should also add that one of the mobos i tried had a 4+4 pin (8pin EPS 12v) connector as well as the 20+4 pin (ATX/BTX/EPS), and a large 4 pin connector (for peripherals) which was supposed to give stability to the video card, according to the mobo manual. this mobo only has a 4 pin and 20+4.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Which FPS games is it happening in and what settings are you running them at?
I get a similar problem when i enter a new area in Oblivion, but it only happens for a few seconds while the cell loads, then it smoothes out.
Just trying to pin-point what the problem could be...
I play mostly quake3, but i noticed it in q4 too. it's not just when i enter a new area or anything. I also think it might be happening in windows but it's hard to tell because moving the mouse just moves the cursor, not the whole screen.

·
TSF Enthusiast
5,538 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
temps are fine, although at first it showed my cpu at 254c? LOL. well i changed the sensor and it's at 35 now.. 52 in core temp. as for voltages, +12v is only showing 0.77? +5v is 4.8, +3.3v is at 3.36. in my mobos program (gigabyte's ETC) it shows +12v at 12.040

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
try this http://www.techsupportforum.com/art...es/122161-how-use-install-sensorsviewpro.html check your temps,and voltages.under both idle,and load.

edit:eek:ne more thing i know that board is an overclockable board.are you overclocking any,if so have you done any stability testing.another thing i know the northbridge on those do get fairly hot when oc'd.
i overclocked for a while, got myself a zalman cnps9500 and it kept cpu temp pretty low so i figured what the hey. but... 3 mobos now, i've tried oc'd and non oc'd. did a few cpu tests.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
is your gskill ram the ones rated for 1.8 to 2.0 volts< if so what is your memory voltage set at.if they are set at the lower end of the scale 1.8.try uping them to 1.9 middle of the road so to speak.see if that has any affect,and post back.
yeah it's the 1.8-2.0 one. i've tried 1.8, 1.9, 2.0. i also tried different ram altogether.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
what are your memory timings set at,are they at the stock settings.from what ive read here and there the p965 chipset's are finicky about memory settings.
in bios i got them set at 5-5-5-15 which is what it's supposed to be. if i let it choose it sets to something like 5-6-6-17, either way it was the same

·
TSF Enthusiast
5,538 Posts
here is the summary remarks from a review of this power supply.

Despite the outcome of this review, I wouldn't say that this power supply is horrible. That's rather harsh. But with it's crossload tendency, it's tendency for it's voltages to drop under high temps and the drastic drop the 12V rails exhibited when loaded to it's maximum, I would easily consider several 500W units on the market over this... especially at the price this goes for.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.