Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a power supply that would be compatible with my computer. I understand that I need to find one with the right dimensions. I just need help with the connector part. Most power supplies in stores that I have seen have 4 SATA Connectors. My hard drive is ATA. Does that mean I need a different type of power supply? Also they come with PCI Express connectors. When I upgrade my graphics card it will be AGP cause that is all my system can support. Do I need to find a power supply with an AGP Connector? I am just totally confused with this connector thing. I also understand the whole motherboard connector thing too. Most of them I see have a 4 Pin and 20 Pin connector which I assume plugs in to the motherboard. Also I am looking for one 12V rails which is also common. I think I also need one that will work with a single core processor.

THIS IS THE ONE I AM EYEING:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Antec-EA-500-Power-Supply-EA500/sem/rpsm/oid/177492/catOid/-17741/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

MY SPECS:
Model: Medion Titanium MD 8000 XL
GPU: Radeon 9550 AGP 8X 256 MB DDR VRAM
CPU: Northwood Intel Pentium 4 Processor 512KB L2 Cache 533MHZ FSB
RAM: 1.5 GB(2 Modules One 512MB, One 1GB) PNY Optima DDR
HD: Seagate Baricuda 120 GB ATA Hard Drive
DISK DRIVE: Samsung Super Writemaster DVD Burner with Lightscribe
PSU: 250 Watt ATX Power Supply

I PLAN ON UPGRADING MY GRAPHICS CARD TO:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/VisionTek-Radeon-2400-Pro-512MB-DDR2-AGP-Graphics-Card-900216/sem/rpsm/oid/209682/catOid/-13043/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

MAYBE EVEN HIGHER DEPENDING ON DEALS I FIND!!!!!!!

Thanx for all your assistance!!!!!!! :pray:

·
Administrator, Team Manager, Gaming, Team Manager,
54,089 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am looking for a power supply that would be compatible with my computer. I understand that I need to find one with the right dimensions. I just need help with the connector part. Most power supplies in stores that I have seen have 4 SATA Connectors. My hard drive is ATA. Does that mean I need a different type of power supply? Also they come with PCI Express connectors. When I upgrade my graphics card it will be AGP cause that is all my system can support. Do I need to find a power supply with an AGP Connector? I am just totally confused with this connector thing. I also understand the whole motherboard connector thing too. Most of them I see have a 4 Pin and 20 Pin connector which I assume plugs in to the motherboard. Also I am looking for one 12V rails which is also common. I think I also need one that will work with a single core processor.

THIS IS THE ONE I AM EYEING:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Antec-EA-500-Power-Supply-EA500/sem/rpsm/oid/177492/catOid/-17741/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

MY SPECS:
Model: Medion Titanium MD 8000 XL
GPU: Radeon 9550 AGP 8X 256 MB DDR VRAM
CPU: Northwood Intel Pentium 4 Processor 512KB L2 Cache 533MHZ FSB
RAM: 1.5 GB(2 Modules One 512MB, One 1GB) PNY Optima DDR
HD: Seagate Baricuda 120 GB ATA Hard Drive
DISK DRIVE: Samsung Super Writemaster DVD Burner with Lightscribe
PSU: 250 Watt ATX Power Supply

I PLAN ON UPGRADING MY GRAPHICS CARD TO:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/VisionTek-Radeon-2400-Pro-512MB-DDR2-AGP-Graphics-Card-900216/sem/rpsm/oid/209682/catOid/-13043/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

MAYBE EVEN HIGHER DEPENDING ON DEALS I FIND!!!!!!!

Thanx for all your assistance!!!!!!! :pray:
Hello. I am a new user. I asw your thread and I have the same computer (Medion). You have already done many of the same things I want to. I want to upgrade RAM and Graphiscs card and from reading your threads, the power supply. I would appreciate any suggestions. I gues I should use the AGP over PCI as it is not a PCI express? In any event, can you help with your suggestions for chepest upgrade on Graphiscs Card, Ram and power supply? Thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
This is kind of related to your topic. I actually work at Circuit City myself, my greatest opinion for you would be to purchase almost any computer hardware.. etc product ONLINE because VERY rarely does not just circuit city in particular but almost anywhere you will rarely find a great deal

I say rarely because occasionally we have good ones but PSU you can get a fantastic psu for a great price on newegg or tigerdirect

Lol sorry circuit city but i like to help people more than just try to sell them something :)

Greatest price = happier customer (plus newegg you can get GREAT quality stuff)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just thought I would pay about $100.00 to upgrade the PSU; video card and add 1gb memory. This is what I thought of getting at Tiger Direct
1.GEN-2004 :: Power Up / 550-Watt / ATX / 120mm Fan / SATA-Ready / Power Supply (4.1 lbs)

In-Stock Ships Within 24 Hours $29.99 $29.99

V261-2400 :: VisionTek Radeon HD 2400 Pro Video Card - 256MB DDR2, AGP 8x, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, Video Card (0.9 lbs)

In-Stock Ships Within 24 Hours $59.99 $59.99

P33-5020 :: Patriot Signature 1024MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory (0.5 lbs)

In-Stock Ships Within 24 Hours $24

·
Registered
6 Posts
Or :

1. VisionTek 900165 Radeon HD 2400PRO 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 AGP 4X/8X HDCP Ready Video Card - Retail
Item #: N82E16814129126
$49.99

APEVIA ATX-CW500WP4 500W ATX Power Supply - Retail
Item #: N82E16817148027
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

$15.00 Mail-in Rebate $39.99

Kingston ValueRAM 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 333 (PC 2700) System Memory Model KVR333X64C25/1G - Retail
Item #: N82E16820141429
$27.49

Your thoughts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I will definetely get that power supply. Any thoughts on my video card and memroy question I sent to you. Again, very much appreciate it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just to make sure, even thought I will never have an SLI type config here, this would be a better PSU for an older computer with an AGP? Thanks?

·
Registered
6 Posts
The last thing then Wrench97 would be the video card you reccommend. Thanks so much I now know the PSU and memory. Again, my kids will be thrilled and I would be able to get by with this computer for maybe another year. Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.