Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was starting out with 1 problem with chkdsk. My external hard drive took a dive off the table, now explorer doesn't see the drive. Chkdsk stalled on stage 4 of 5 at 16%. Chkdsk recommends not stopping the program before it is finished. I started writing this on notebook and it is not responding. Task manager is not closing notepad. I have 2 attachments with my info. What do I do now?
Thanks abusknott

Attachments

·
Registered
40,774 Posts
My external hard drive took a dive off the table
Chances are great that the USB controller inside the enclosure has failed from the fall. the HDD itself may also be damaged. You can unplug the USB drive from the computer freeing up your computer and cancelling Check Disk
How long have you had the External drive? If it is less then a year, it is under warranty and can be replaced for free.
If you have had it longer, then you can disassemble the case and remove the HDD within, then you can attach it to a computer via a USB Adapter, Dock or another Enclosure with a power adapter. If the drive spins up, you are half way there. Then you can use Data Recovery software to copy the files to a new drive.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.